Back Loaded Horn with FOSTEX, some questions...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ghangis said:
Hi, I just completed a pair of backloaded horns using the F206e.I experimented with a super tweeter but didn,t notice much of an improvement.These are excellent speakers with this cabinet design but sound best with tubes.I found too much harshness and shout with solid state.Don't require much power as well.10-15 watts.Currently running them with an Eico HF-81 and they sound awesome.EL84 output tubes.

Which design did you realised?

10-15 watts might be more than enough for those horns. I think that even a 4 watter would make them play loud enough.

Re: FE206E cabinet

Ghangis said:
The cabinet I used can be found on the Fostex site under recommended backloaded enclosure for FE206E.I think you're right about the watts required.I can email you the plans for the cabinets I built if you need them.Email me at kevinl@maple.ca if you want them.

Thanks for your offer. I'm already aware of Fostex's horn design. As I wrote at the begining of this thread, I have decided to build Ron's Dallas II horn.

Evangelos

Look what I found... ahahah

Guijs, have you started yet your BLH?? I'm very anxious for a review.

I've seen a page that were made a cabinet with 12 fullranges drivers... that surprised me. When looking for details I found your topic here.

Good Luck!

MEX (STF)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Guijs,

how's your project doing?
I think we're on the same project. I'm building the Fostex recommended enclosure for the FE108EZ.

Started last weekend and had like 1-2 hours per day this week for glueing things together...pretty much straight forward. One Speaker is almost done (like 7 to 8 hrs work). Will hopefully finish by the end of next week.
The fun part is, you can put it together without really checking if everything is in the right place (like right distance from each other...), because only two parts (5, 22) are not connected to any other parts which would hold them in place.

I started with the exponetial part in the middle, then with the lower part and finally the part where the driver is mounted.
I'm building it with 16mm MFD, which i will be sealing off before finally putting the three parts in the enclosure. The sealant makes the MFD really hard and almost shiny if you soak it well. I'm really looking forward to do the paintjob on such a surface.

I use waterproof glue, because the sealant is water-based (I don't like the smelly stuff plus the water-based stuff can dry in the apartement).

I decided to do the sealing after the glueing-stuff, because the plain wood can soak more glue that way; makes stronger bonds.

Hopefully I can post some picture this weekend.

Have Fun,

Dave

Hello RodeoDave!

I'll start to build the enclosures tomorow, on the weekend. I've made a CAD drawing of the pieces and cut it with a laser machine! So the pieces are exactly perfect and you can do some rabbets like puzzle. I'll post some pictures on the sunday.

I'm using 15mm Naval Plywood, like the plan recomends. It will be very easy to build.

About your amplifier, the only thing I know is that you can use a 4ohms amplifier with a 8ohm driver, no problem. The amplifier will send half the power to the speaker.

I'll use a Pioneer receiver just to break-in the speakers, and after this i'll start to test some tube-amplifiers!

Good Luck

Guilherme

Here are some pictures of the construction!

Last 2 pictures is just an improvisation! I'll make a better fisinh on the wood later, and i'm preparing the shelf to receive the loudspeakers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Embalando pra terminar em casa...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
WOW! Nice work!

Didn't know that plywood can be laser-cut...impressive.

A few questions:

The cavity below the driver will be filled with sand, right?

What damping material did you use? Looks like some kind of foam-thingy...

I can see that you are using the original parts (#29) to fill the compression-chamber. Are there spaces between them so that they fit the 170mm? I'm thinking about using two 170mm wide pieces instead. But I'm not sure yet...

What do they sound like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.