Back Loaded Horn with FOSTEX, some questions...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Guijs said:
Planet 10, any suggestions?

There are lots of choices depending on how low you want to go (keep room gain in mind, so a slow roll-off where you pay attention to F10 more than f3 is best). Paper cone probably better than plastic. Active of course.

I've been using some vintage foster 12", but have any number of 7s, & 8s that would do the job & there are even more in the catalogs. Each of these is capable of resonable performance to beyound 1k (the 12s were XOed at 2.5k for instance).

For new drivers the extremis 6.8 comes to mind. Bass like a 10", extension like a 6".

dave

Hello,

The speakers are in "stand by" ultil I finish the tube amplififers. But, I tryed it in 2 different systems and the midrange is very, very good. Highs are good but needs extention, but I did not mess up with this a lot so maby it could be solved. Bass is good down to around 60-80hz, so in music that you need bass below it, you will need a subwoofer.

Hi all,
I have been away for a couple of weeks and just read the last conversation. Interesting indeed.
I have a question for those reading: I might have mentioned before that I will be building a pair of BLH using the FE87E's and basing the design on the recommended Fostex design, but would like to perhaps change a couple of things. Martain has wisely warned against changing the internal geometry and I uderstand the reasons better after reading his very complete horn theory papers (Cheers for that nice work, Martin!!). BUT I am not an engineer and want to know if keeping the same number of "bends" in the design is crutial or not? In other words, if the length and expantion of the horn remains constant, can I change the number of bends in the horn without changing the response? And, can I make the mouth rear firing (as opposed to front firing) and what could I loose by doing this?

Thanks for your help.
Stuart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.