Babbelfish J PCBs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Yep, Papa had his reasons for choosing Toshiba's (again!!):D Well, its publicly known that Toshiba J-fets are the best for audio purposes, as far as I am concerned:)

Steen:)

just on my mind.........I'll not tell that I know that from first hand,but I remember BillWW's J version of A30..........in Salt Lake shootouts they sez that this version is best Aleph for their knowledge;
he use sheeeeeeeeeety chopper dedicated J176 as input ones.......

not a fact against Toshibas audio jfets ( hehe-"audio") ,but certainly is a fact that some other types are more than useful........

anyway-give me some computer toobz , and don't worry for me :clown:even if they are not for audio

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
cviller said:
This needs to be investigated... I think I'll try j103 and 2n5462.

Unrelated question:
Would a zener based CCS for input pair lower the turn off thump?

two bjt CCS have pretty nice tempco , and that is important for achieving lesser initial offset...........
besides that- thump isn't big really?

anyway- use spk protection with delay,so thump can't be problem

I must confess that I'm paranoic regarding my spks

two bjt CCS have pretty nice tempco , and that is important for achieving lesser initial offset...........
besides that- thump isn't big really?

The turn ON thump is hardly noticable, but the OFF thump is louder. I don't know of any universal reference I can compare it to.

I have been thinking about speaker protection too, perhaps I should surf the forum for a nice solution.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
cviller said:

The turn ON thump is hardly noticable, but the OFF thump is louder. I don't know of any universal reference I can compare it to.

I have been thinking about speaker protection too, perhaps I should surf the forum for a nice solution.

Attachments

• spkprot-final.jpg
    spkprot-final.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 940
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
cviller said:
Yeah, I you're probably right. Do you use it for your babbel?
I think I'll mod it for some ta7317p I have in the drawer....

you can always buy few mosfets and resistors,if something goes south.....but if you have rare ,or just expensive, speakers ......going south is major trouble .

because of this,I know that I'm right ;)

I tried this schmtc on breadboard . pcbs are in drawer (Oly is magician,as always) ,but I'm kinda short with time.
because of same reason , my Babelfish is still in pieces ; frankly- ALL pieces.......but still not in one piece.

but-who cares when I always have musak producing gadgets .
Babelfish was nice trip , something new to me (learning how to understand making of SS amp), and I know it works (good).........

who knows-maybe I don't need it now......journey is so often more important to me than destination (hehe nothing new under the sun)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
say that I have solved my Paypal issues
say that I have 12 (6 stereo pairs) pcbs from first batch in this very moment ; purchasing more is easy and quick
say that you can - if you have any interest after F4 -contact me via PM for pcbs availability

say that I didn't yet received promised 2SJ109BLs......:mad:

so-choice is yours

Zen Mod said:
say that I have solved my Paypal issues
say that I have 12 (6 stereo pairs) pcbs from first batch in this very moment ; purchasing more is easy and quick
say that you can - if you have any interest after F4 -contact me via PM for pcbs availability

say that I didn't yet received promised 2SJ109BLs......:mad:

so-choice is yours
The Babelfish is still a safe bet, with or without the F4!! All you people loving your preamp, should choose the B-fish:) Those wanting to build a heavygain preamp for the F4, should go that way:) Its actually as simple as that!

BrianDonegan said:
How much are people generally spending on 2SJ109s when they find them. I want to know if I'm being taken...
Okay, this is the manual for finding J-Fets:
I payed 4,2 Euro a piece, for the last batch I ordered (last week). Just in case that would be usefull? I am not sure if you US guys really do contact the shops that pops up now and then, here on DIYA?? I have no trouble getting the Toshiba J-Fets! I even secured for myself a dozen of those elusive 2SK369V's! I dont even know if I will ever need them, but they should be considerably better than 2SK170V's, regarding noise. They are meant for MC headamps. Search, search, and search some more;) Another good hint: buy them when you can! I am sure ppl are reluctant when it comes to stowing away:smash: You shouldnt be, it will only cause you greef later;) I started on this DIY thing about 3 years ago, and I have a healthy supply of J-fets allready:) Makes me wonder why the average DIY'er doesn't here on this board?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:

The Babelfish is still a safe bet, with or without the F4!! All you people loving your preamp, should choose the B-fish:) Those wanting to build a heavygain preamp for the F4, should go that way:) Its actually as simple as that!

now you can bet that in a month I'll have tested construction and ready pcbs for "Steen's JFET preamp" .....not Bastardized BOSOZ.............other one ;)

with ultra cheap jfets :devilr:

Zen Mod said:

now you can bet that in a month I'll have tested construction and ready pcbs for "Steen's JFET preamp" .....not Bastardized BOSOZ.............other one ;)

with ultra cheap jfets :devilr:
Just let me know if I can help out, maybe with some SJ109's? I would be happy to! ZM, you do give a lot to this board! I mean A LOT!!! I will send you the J-fets for the cost I have to pay:) They will never end up ultracheap though:D Just let me know.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
Just let me know if I can help out, maybe with some SJ109's? I would be happy to! ZM, you do give a lot to this board! I mean A LOT!!! I will send you the J-fets for the cost I have to pay:) They will never end up ultracheap though:D Just let me know.

where you see 2SJ109?
and-after you demanded 389 .......... :devilr:

you'll be beta beta tester

I'll be beta ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you can help me answering on few Q :

what footprint for 4U7~10UF outputs and- is it vise to implement +/- shunt regs ditto on pcb?

pcbs will be one/channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.