B1 Buffer Preamp

Following my last post, finally got the time to draw the way I want to connect my balanced version of the B1. What is not shown on the drawing is the switch to change the input from balanced to RCA and the 4 gang potentiometer. Any suggestions?
Eric

Bump, Any comment?

Attachments

• BalancedB1.jpg
    BalancedB1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 943
Bump, Any comment?

That's more or less how I've planned mine, but without the RCAs. That said, for input 2, you will need to arrange to connect the unused channel to ground, which you will want to do at the selector switch. Maybe an easier way to go, actually, and what would give you the most flexibility, would be to parallel RCAs and XLRs on the inputs, too, as on Pass's own preamps. Then you put a shorting plug into the XLR across pins 1 and 3 when you are using the RCA input.

That's more or less how I've planned mine, but without the RCAs. That said, for input 2, you will need to arrange to connect the unused channel to ground, which you will want to do at the selector switch. Maybe an easier way to go, actually, and what would give you the most flexibility, would be to parallel RCAs and XLRs on the inputs, too, as on Pass's own preamps. Then you put a shorting plug into the XLR across pins 1 and 3 when you are using the RCA input.

Hi rgheck, I do not understand why I should ground the unused channel of input 2 when using the RCA. I would appreciate an explanation if you can (thank you). As far as paralleling the RCA and XLR on the input, It would prevent me from having 2 sources connected (one with XLR one with RCA) from witch I could switch from.
Eric

Hi rgheck, I do not understand why I should ground the unused channel of input 2 when using the RCA. I would appreciate an explanation if you can (thank you).

I don't fully understand why this is necessary, but I believe the answer is that you will get noise back through the grounds. In any event, this is what Kent English of Pass Labs has to say in a recent article on troubleshooting:

The second issue is an apparent lack of performance when using single ended (un-balanced) interconnects. When using single-ended interconnects on inputs that additionally have associated XLR inputs it is necessary to install the supplied jumpers between pins one and three on the input XLR. The pre-amplifier will function sans jumpers, but performance will be notably diminished. Neglecting to install the jumpers will not harm the pre-amplifier. Never apply jumpers to the output connectors.​

The presence or absence of the XLR connector is not the point. When there's no XLR plug, then they have already grounded it for you and you don't have to do anything.

As far as paralleling the RCA and XLR on the input, It would prevent me from having 2 sources connected (one with XLR one with RCA) from witch I could switch from.

That's not what I meant. On the Pass pre-amps, many inputs have BOTH an RCA plug AND an XLR plug. (The Aleph P has this on all inputs.) That's what I was suggesting you do, just as you are doing for the outputs. You would only use one at a time, for each of the two inputs. As here:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you Rgheck for the explanation, it is clear. I will still remain with plan 1 as it minimizes the amount of XLR plugs and space required. I will ground the R input 2 on both PCB's and have a 4 contact switch (4 gangs?) to swich from input 1 to input 2 on both PCB at the same time. Regards,
Eric

Are you serious that Vitamin Q caps are toxic ( at the outside ) or are you joking ?! As I have small stock of Vitamin Q caps left I am curious. I don't like toxic stuff except for tin/lead solder that is...

I am glad I built a DC coupled B1 "Mezmerize". Cheaper and less mental noise which flavor cap to pick etc.

Sorry I missed this.

PCB's of course! (on the inside) From a bygone era in American manufacturing...

I have quick question (probably very basic) but since I am not sure I will ask.

I am interested in building this unit but here is my concern. Right now I am going from my TT -> Cambridge Audio 640P -> Onkyo PR-885 -> Crown XTi100

The Crown only has XLR inputs for that I could use. Would I lose anything by using the B1 if I either go like this:

TT -> Cambridge Audio 640P -> B1 -> Onkyo PR-885 -> Crown XTi100 or

TT -> Cambridge Audio 640P -> B1 -> RCA to XLR adaptor -> Crown XTi100

Thank you in advance.

James

does the manual tell you how to connect an unbalanced signal?

If not then go read Rane and Jensen for good advice on converting a balanced input to unbalanced input.
It is very easy and very cheap. Not quite reversible but you can return the input to standard specification for resale.

The modification can be done inside the XLR plug. That involves no modification to the Crown, but I would rather do a Crown mod.