B1 Buffer Preamp

Fair enough, I will try to draw a plan and post it. By reading previous posts, I though it was ''relatively'' simple...not shore anymore:scratch:

Following my last post, finally got the time to draw the way I want to connect my balanced version of the B1. What is not shown on the drawing is the switch to change the input from balanced to RCA and the 4 gang potentiometer. Any suggestions?
Eric

Attachments

• BalancedB1.jpg
    BalancedB1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 1,106
I just finished my B1 thank you Nelson for sharing.

I have a question:

I have almost 100 hrs on unit and still sounds rather dark and recessed. I have 4 Takman rex carbon resistors in the signal path. I have heard they are warmer but i am getting to much warm and they can take while to settle down. I am ready to remove at least two but wondering if anyone knows if they might still open up with a few more hrs???

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd say, if you aren't used to it in a 100 hours, something is wrong and you might want to see if you change something.

As for the whole burn-in of components, I wouldn't touch that with a 100-feet pole. It can get scary :)

I mean, if you change something in the system, whatever it is - transistors/caps/resistors/voltage/bias, and it sounds better then you're happy you improved your system. That's the charm of DIY, after all.

Burn-in, psychoacoustic conditioning, whatever you want to call it can't correct mistakes, or the fact that you bought a component from a weird source and it turned out to be a fake and you didn't realise in time. Those things happen sometimes.

BTW, my B1 uses resistors from my "by-the-pound" bag. Whatever they are, they seem to sound perfectly OK in both my amp, preamp and headphone amp so far.

Last edited:
made my shelf a B1 ( a generic construction that suffers from a few errors ) that still plays amazingly well

veroboard simple material good quality transitors ... other than that a very simple thing

things i liked
bandwidth dynamics ultralow noise nice colours warm doesnt strech almost any kind of music ...works very nice ... sounds also very crisp and linear

only thing that puzzled me a bit is that it seems that it sounds better with 24 volt supply than it sounds with 18 is there a reason for that or simply my imagination ???

eventhough generic construction actually meet almost all measuring specs

way to go Papa thank you very much

Attachments

• Εικόνα020.jpg
    Εικόνα020.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 961
  • Εικόνα021.jpg
    Εικόνα021.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 950
B1 mods ?

Hi guys
I wanted to get your input on
my B1,it went from very warm and closed in dark sounding to
now it is way to bright, I mean the soundstage got really big
but it is just to bright to enjoy for a long period,
These are the changes I made from I went to all PRP resistors,
I swithced from vishay 1uf & Axon 10uf to Sonicaps on both.
and also I changed the 1k resistors to 330r on all 4 of them
I am thinking of going back to 1K, is there a better choice for caps
other than the Sonicaps,that is
warmer and plenty open at the same time for reasonable money.
Any thoughts.

I just finished my B1 thank you Nelson for sharing.

I have a question:

I have almost 100 hrs on unit and still sounds rather dark and recessed. I have 4 Takman rex carbon resistors in the signal path. I have heard they are warmer but i am getting to much warm and they can take while to settle down. I am ready to remove at least two but wondering if anyone knows if they might still open up with a few more hrs???

Thanks

Well i decided to give this close to 300hrs break in as several subjested but it remained to warm and syrupy for my taste. I removed the 2 carbon input resistors and replaced with prp metal fim and it sounds much more lively. A real good balance for anyone looking for a slightly warmer presentation. :D