B&C Compression Driver and Horns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the 2226H part.

Attachments

• 2226h net.jpg
    2226h net.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,038
Here is the simulated (red) and measured (black) curve at 1.40m on axis. It looks OK 30 degrees off-axis too.

The reduction of C1031 from 2.2uF to 1.8uF brings the 6-10 kHz level 1-2 dB down.

Use the network as a guideline if you want to. I think the system sound good (and packs tremendous punch) - but I wouldn't be suprised at all (in fact, I almost expect it) if Earl's waveguies will sound better.

Attachments

• curve.jpg
    curve.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,046
EspenE said:
Here is the simulated (red) and measured (black) curve at 1.40m on axis. It looks OK 30 degrees off-axis too.

The reduction of C1031 from 2.2uF to 1.8uF brings the 6-10 kHz level 1-2 dB down.

Use the network as a guideline if you want to. I think the system sound good (and packs tremendous punch) - but I wouldn't be suprised at all (in fact, I almost expect it) if Earl's waveguies will sound better.

I recommend the LRC across the driver not in series with it. In my deisgns I shoot for +-2 dB at all frequencies and all forward angles (and achieve I should mention). This is tough to do as you show.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
warnsey said:
Well i'm tossing up whether to get into horns or not and have been doing a little research. The concept of compression horn speaker interests me.

So far I have found the B&C DE950

Has anyone heard of these drivers?

I also like the look of the PHL 5240 15" Driver for bass.

As for tweeters I haven't thought to much about it yet. Perhaps the Visaton TL 16H.

Any ideas, opinions and suggestions would be more than appreciated.

Cheers

Trot over to AK forum and read the "Econowaveguide" Thread.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have been playing around with a project based on the "econowaveguide" thread at AK. Basically, the thread takes the JBL #338800-001 wave guide @ 9.90 each, the Selenium 220ti compression driver, 42 bux at parts express, and a cross over, ( all for a grand total of 170 us or so for two channels) and matches that to whatever woofer, most using jbl.

In my own case, I chose JBL 4647 bass box for the bottom, loaded with 2225H drivers. This system cheap as it is, kicks major a-r-s-e, it almost silly how well these particular parts work together. Look at the thread. I am going to rework the crossover as soon as I get some info from the thread author, to use JBL 2425H. I have tried the wave guide with 2425H on top of my Altec A7s, replacing the 511B and 802 8G. I was amazed at their ability to keep up.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
gedlee said:

Got it thanks.

Can you really buy the JBL waveguide for under $10? I just can't see how they can do that.

They can and do! I and a bunch of other guys have ordered them and have them in operation. 9.90 a piece...delivered to my door from JBL in about a week or less, for under 30 bucks total. When I get home, I'll post a pick or two, or you can see them at the aformentioned thread.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bt the by, not ALL of their wave guides are this cheap, just the model specified. That 10 buck waveguide, a 42 buck Selenium driver, and the specified crossover has a response as flat as Nebraska, and no kidding, sounds astonishingly good. cheap enough to try out, that's for sure, and I dont think anyone will be disappointed.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
gedlee said:

That I am skeptical about. I've never seen that in my lifetime. Waveguides and Horns are just never that flat.

plus or minus 2 to 2.5 db over the horns range, take a look at the thread, rta results and all. I know it sounds impossible, I'm 52 years old and have dabbled in this stuff for decades, never seen anything like it. Sounds so good it'll make ya giggle.

Cheap enough to prove out, 170.00 and your there! ( both sides) And believe it or not, flat as a pancake. Quite flat for any speaker, ridiculously flat for horns. Try it, you'll like it.

Their doing the same thing with the same waveguide and the BMS 4550, 4552 nd, and putting them on top of altecs, etc., but try it with the little Selenium driver.

Trust me on this, they are FLAT, surprisingly flat. Please make a liar out of me, my wife is about to commit me to a home for the befuddled. This wave guide is well documented by several on AK as well as LHF ( Lansing Heritage Forums, www.audioheritage.com).

Have doubts?
Check it out!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hyldal said:
Does anybody know where to buy this JBL waveguide and the Selenium driver?
I need to have It send to Europe, or can this be found some where in Europe?
What is the Selenium driver called?

Yes. Parts express has the seleniums at 42 each. the wave guide is avaible from JBL pro parts. The phone number is in the thread. It exists, there's one in my living room! Please try this thing, its cheap and really, and surprisingly very good!

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.