Anyone interested in a digital amplifier project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

So, here by the passing, what do you think about my null phase analog filter? :santa:

Gyula

Attachments

• lin_szuro.jpg
    lin_szuro.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 892
Hi Gyula,
your studies were successful, we can see here... :D

Did you combine a 4th order lowpass wit an (double) allpass? Is it a low power filter (using OPAs) or a power filter using L/C? The first solution would not surprise so much, because similar things are already used in "transient perfect crossovers". But it is interesting to experiment with. If it is a L/C-solution - hat off, I never saw that behaviour before.
Best regards, Timo

5015 Again

So, it's the good old Digital Amp Fellas together..

My heavily delayed TAS5015 project is about to see the light. Three PCB are ready to be cooked in the oven. Farnell parts all over the place!
One PWM board, one power driver (TAS5182) and a filter/DSP board (3103) makes the amp.

Power supply with error correction is still under construction, crystals to match the Phaslink osc. are still to arrive. Dutch distributors are horrible! So for the time being I will use a standard osc. chip.

How's the rest doing?

Cheers, Frank (Pitch254)

Hi Frank,

Good to hear from you again.

"About to be cooked in an oven"

I know of one British Hi-Fi company who uses the small "Belling Lee" mini Oven / Stove (as so commonly found in bed sits and single room apartments in the UK) as there "Reflow" oven. They used to have a very expensive Philips inert gas job - but found better results with the belling....

But I guess your using a real reflow...

I never use solder-past for sample construction - I always just hand solder....

Let us know about your results - it’s a shame TI are about to discontinue the 5015 - it’s the best all-round modulator - I'm not sure about the latest TI offerings. With the 5015 I could squeeze about 115dB from it with the BEST 19 KHz/ 20 KHz IMD performances of all the modulators I've tested to date.

One gets the suspicion that the TI5015 was freely designed by the engineers - so silicon area (performance / cost) was not a leading issue, however with the latest generation - I bet the marketing guys had more of a say - and performance will be much worst - BUT as I say I have not tested YET...

What Crystal Freq. do you need?

I’ve been busy – about to release a range of products using my technologie – however, casework being the largest issue!!!

Waiting for results of your listing,

John

Hi John!

Good to hear from you too!

About the oven: we have bought a standaard Microwave / Air Heater oven. Quite a large one with 2k5 Watt ceramic heaters in it. Ripped out all the controls and the Klystron. (Don't want to nuke the precious design.. :hot: )
I still have to do the PCB on a USB controlled AC power controller with temperature feedback. We put that back in, hook up a laptop, program in Java the corresponding Reflow graph, and off we go. Yes, I'm planning to use solderpaste, I already have the screens for that. I want to do it right the first time. A stereo microscope is already bought for the rework!

About TI, I had some sleepless nights from their strategic moves: First the DIR1703 and than the 5015.. Here's the answer I got from the Dutch brance. (They are realy helpfull and willing to coop.)

Start Quote:

"Please find attached some material related to DIR1703. It tells everything about the problem with DIR1703. Again, though the part has this problem we do not consider to make it obsolete. It will even be transfered to Pbfree. The same holds true for TAS5015. For legal reasons we cannot give a guarantee, but both parts are in production at larger customers as well.

I hope this is reassurance enough. If not, one solution could be to keep several parts in stock as the volumes seem not to be that high. Additionally, we could inform you if the part ever becomes a candidate for obsolescence, so you have the opportunity to order sufficient stock.

Let me know , also if you need any further information.

kind regards,"

End Quote. The problem they mention with the 1703 is the unexpected switch down of the chip when input sample rates are changed on the fly. One needs an extra reset now. I have the doc. if you're interested. Not a real problem for me.

And, it's interesting that both the devices are to come in the Pb free programme. So there is a little hope. (Although Digikey hasn't got a 5015 in stock at the moment. My stock is 5 pcs or so...)

The Crystal I need is 50 Mhz 3rd order. CL and Co 5pf ESR 35 Ohm 500 uW. 25ppm@25C. The C-mac rep let me down., offering an complete Epson osc. for Euro 19,- (UK rep Phaselink: $ 4.35)
Phaslink recommends ILSI crystals. Their rep here in Holland isn't that promising either. But we will get there...

What are you planning to launch? Class D Amp? And you are working on some exclusive High-end / Feels good casing?

I will keep this forum informed about the 5015. The earlier built 5012 / 5110 combi gets good critics for over a year now, and with the increased knowledge, since this project, it is really crappy
;) to me now.

Cheers,

Frank

Frank,

Would you mind Emailing me contact details for the Ti Dutch Guys – I would like to ask them some questions about there new modulator…

If you get really stuck, I could post you the 50MHz Xtal I have on the Phase link Eval board.

Frank & Timo,

My new product range will sell below US$1000, via direct Internet sales only – thereby cutting out the middle-man (distributors & Dealers) 70% margin. This will allow me to sell State-Of-The-Art Hi-Fi products at “Budget” pricing.

The Digital amplifier will contain some 30 MC100EPxx ECL logic chips within the Clock and Reference PWM section (and they really are NOT cheap) – so even with direct selling it will be hard to meet the budget target – so don’t expect 30Kg of casework…. However every time I listen to the prototypes I just smile…

Cheers,

John

Ivan,

Before the official release of the product I would like to limit the product information – however as a small teaser: -

120W +120W into 8 Ohms

THD below 0.0005% at full rated power, harmonics below noise floor at lower levels.

16K FFT noise floor below -165dB Ref. full rated power

TRUE DR greater then 128dB

Digital, USB & analogue legacy inputs

Clock-Lock support with matching CD transport

SRC for external – non clock-locked digital sources

Retail around the equivalent of US$899 – but sales only to Europe- no US sales.

Cheers,

John

120W +120W into 8 Ohms THD below 0.0005% at full rated power, harmonics below noise floor at lower levels. 16K FFT noise floor below -165dB Ref. full rated power TRUE DR greater then 128dB Digital, USB & analogue legacy inputs ... Retail around the equivalent of US$899...
Seriously? :bigeyes:
That sounds good! The data seem to be better than UcD ones by a big margin. What an effort to measure this seriously!
Regards, Timo

Hi Ivan,

Brand name I will keep quite until closer to the launch date (which will be before the end of this year) – price is for a complete unit, sound – well it’s the best sounding “system” I’ve ever heard – but then I would say that….

The first impression is the incredible Bass and sound stage – even little speaker’s spring to life – the Bass is so tight and fast – combined with massive soundstage – it sounds like no digital product I’ve ever heard… and with no hint of treble sibilance.

Its hard to work while the system is playing – I just keep listening to different CD’s – you play a track you have known for years and then suddenly realize that the vocals are “layered” and in fact 2 people are singing – its quite breath taking… And for the fist time, hand claps sound like people clapping there hands, and not just some background noise…

John

Hi John!

So, the life is drawn in for you? I wish you scoop! :c_flag: :)

I will write tomorrow about the filter.. In essence: the transfer function fasors are counterrotating of two serially connected second order low pass filter. I think it can be made with any type of filters.

Gyula:

Arthur,

The DAX1 (120W + 120W) will use a linear PSU (non switcher), at lower power levels there’s no direct cost advantage to using a switcher – and reliability and serviceability is much higher / easier with a linear PSU.

Getting safety and EMC approvals on a SMPS is also a very costly.

I also don’t believe the market is ready to accept an amplifier that weighs very little – would you buy an amplifier that weighed 1Kg but claimed a combined output power of almost 250W?

I’m conscious of the impact on the environment of shipping / flying heavy amplifier units around the world – but I’m unsure of the total impact to the environment of the greater use of passive and active devices used in SMPS – I would suspect that the environmental costs of extracting and transporting lumps of iron around the world are lower then the environmental damaged caused by the manufacturing the extra components (chemicals used in the electronics / semi-conductor industry are extremely nasty). Whenever I enter a semi-conductor Fabrication facility (Fab) I’m always drilled by the safety officer on wearing emergency breathing systems should there be a Gas leak… :dead:

Cheers,

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.