Aleph J Schematic

32V rail Aleph J

I would like to try building an Aleph J with a small turbo. Having read the F5 turbo manual, I am thinking of using an "as close to standard as useful" Aleph J circuit but powering it with 32V rails.

For the power supply (1 PSU for both channels) I plan on using a 625VA, 2 x 24V AC transformer with a CRC PSU. Each rail would consist of:

• C: 2 x 15000uF/63V Panasonic T-HA
  • R: 4 x 0.47R/3W
  • C: 2 x 15000uF Panasonic T-HA
    + 4 x 1000uF/35V Silmic
    + 10uF/160V MKP

I assume the JFets are OK (as in the 32V F5) if I use a heatsink. Luckily I have some Xen/EUVL dual TO-92 sinks. I knew they would come in handy!

What else would I need to change to get it runing properly?

Edit: I forgot to add that I plan to use a 4U 400mm Modushop case (0.20W/C per channel).

Last edited:
you can cut few traces and drill few holes

that's just 2 BC transstrs and 3 resstrs , plus one cap

Thanks Zen Mod, but I am afraid it would be too difficult for me at this stage. I am a newbie. So far, I have only assembled an O2 (headphone amp) and a DAC (from Spencer/fetaudio). Both were complete kits, with instructions :)

Would I get away with a 2 x 22V AC transformer (29-30V rails) and keeping everyhing else standard?

What else would I need to change to get it runing properly?
I plan to use a 4U 400mm Modushop case

For the Z-th time : the numbers Modushop mentions are for Class AB amps !
At over 130W dissipation per channel, the heatsink temperature will be at least 60C.

You'll not get more powah merely by 32V rails, requires more action : either higher bias or larger turbo boost.

For the Z-th time : the numbers Modushop mentions are for Class AB amps !
At over 130W dissipation per channel, the heatsink temperature will be at least 60C.

Thanks Jacco, but I don't understand why the Modushop enclosures would not work. I have a set of Aleph 2's (monoblocks) running in identical enclosures. A friend of mine made them for me 6 years ago, and they have been running fine ever since. If I remember correctly the Aleph 2 is rated at 300W dissipation (per channel), hence my choice for this enclosure.

You'll not get more powah merely by 32V rails, requires more action : either higher bias or larger turbo boost.
Nelson explains that on the F5, upping the rails 32V will give about 50W.
Increasing the power supply voltage is the obvious way to get more power out
of an F5. You can simply raise the supply rails to +/-32 Volts and get 50
watts into 8 ohms right away without other modification. 24 V AC secondaries
on the power transformer will do it.
Why would this not work on the Aleph J? I do not expect a big boost, but a bit more would be nice :)

Thanks Jacco, but I don't understand why the Modushop enclosures would not work. I have a set of Aleph 2's (monoblocks) running in identical enclosures. A friend of mine made them for me 6 years ago, and they have been running fine ever since. If I remember correctly the Aleph 2 is rated at 300W dissipation (per channel), hence my choice for this enclosure.

Nelson explains that on the F5, upping the rails 32V will give about 50W.
Why would this not work on the Aleph J? I do not expect a big boost, but a bit more would be nice :)

It is about more than rails. I believe the AJ in standard setting is biased higher than F5. Pick your poison, just watch the temperatures. You could double up on the FE Jfets and increase number of output fets like i did in my monoblock build.