Aleph J Schematic

IXYS has lesser Ciss
now I use irfp240 but got this huge mosfets and was wondering if there will be any sonical improvement if I use them :D
I just read the topic from the link you gave me last night and saw that i have to paralel input j`s to drive properly the 280A n mos.In the meantime an idea just came up in my head...and that is to sell the IXYS and buy with the money 4 pairs of power j`s.wouldn`t that be sonically better?(retoric question :)) )

Last edited:
I will check my sinks as soon as I get my new meter.

Well Jacco (and others), I finally got my new toy, a Fluke 179 with original Fluke 80BK-A probe, and have checked the temperature of my amps. I did not remove the covers to check Mosfet temperature; just checked the heatsinks.

The Aleph 2 monoblocks (Hifi2000/Modushop 4U 400mm enclosures) have been switched on for about 5 hours and I do not think they will get any hotter. Ambient temperature in my study is now 26.4 (yes, they do produce a lot of heat) and the heatsinks are at 56.7, i.e. aprox. 30 degrees above ambient.

Bias is set by the originally specified values of the circuit, so dissipation should be close to the original. Dissipation is actually probably a little higher than the original as I have 2 x 40V AC secondaries where I think the original had 2 x 37V AC secondaries.

Assuming dissipation is 300W, the measurerd rise of 30 degrees is about 0.1C/W.
According to the Modushop specs the heatsinks (4 per enclosure) are rated at 0.38C/W each. This is close to the results I have measured.

pcb check

a while ago i started to build this amp.
after collecting the parts, winding a toroid and making a board for the PSU caps it's time for the real amp.
I tried to design a PCB (much alike nelson's board) which will fit nicely on my heat-sinks
But since i dont have experience in building amps i would like to get some feedback on the PCB design.

Will this design work, or am i making some (stupid) mistakes here.

notes on the design:
-It's a single layer design; the routes on the "top" layer are jumper wires.
-The power resistors are smaller than on this pcb design (couldnt find the right symbol)
-the shape and dimensions of the board are based on heat-sinks i allready have

Attachments

• aleph-j.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 162