Aleph J illustrated build guide

This confused me for a while, too, but I think it's there as an artifact of the PCB design process. The PCB permits you to use either a trimpot or a fixed resistor, but to allow both of those components to be used in the exact same place in the circuit, the PCB software treats them as parallel, even though only one is supposed to be installed at a time.

Got it...now I remember...this is definitely the way if you want to make place for alternate components...I went ahead with the 5K trimpot and offset DC to around 0.2mV, worked pretty well..

It's still one channel, but I like the sound...its as astonishing as F6, slightly different signature, but unfortunately this time I don't have great speakers to test...and quite inefficient ones (82 dB) as they claim...doesn't go louder compared to how I experienced with Klipsch, but still decent music to hear...

Because we have access to J74, (something that was in doubt when the PCB were laid out years ago...) that is the best course - leave the LTP pot open (R8 pot) and just use a 1K resistor in R8 and move on. :D

With R8 being 500R, it isn't possible to adjust it to 1K0. I don't really want to remove VR8 and replace it with R8, risking PCB damage.

Last edited:
Removing three pin variable resistors is actually fairly straightforward. The pins can be bridged with a large blob of solder while the part is pulled out of the board with a pair of pliers from the other side. The excess solder is removed afterwards with solder wick.
Minor damage to the holes isn’t much of a problem. The holes for the fixed R8 location bridge across the variable footprint.