Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Those fans are typically 100mA so no big deal drawing off the main positive rail. I have heard noise come back from them (DC brushless motor) if you don’t add decoupling cap at the legs of the 7812 though.

Roger that. I'll try it out on my build to get things up and running with the CPU coolers I'm using. Eventually I want to move the ALPHA 20 to a 4u or 5u with big passive heat sinks.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
So I have a three of Project16/Prasi CRC boards fitted with four 22mF 35v caps and eight MUR880 diodes with the full complement of snubbers. Since Alpha has such good PSRR, maybe all I need to do is to get a pair of 400VA 25v trafos and I am all set for PSUs for the B.B.?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...er-supply-class-amplifier-28.html#post5050668

This is what I have (3 of these actually):

611441d1492171947-crc-power-supply-class-amplifier-img_6578-jpg

I knew they would come in handy. I now don’t regret putting 35v rated caps on them:)

Now just add these:
IMG_1476n__96508.1379359207.1280.1280__98277.1380829744.1280.1280__72642.1380830273.1280.1280__31560.1380830658.1280.1280__76568.1380830968.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Resistor swap provided positive results :)
I originally had .33R and .12R resistors in R131 and R132 respectfully. After getting feedback from X and Hugh I changed the values to .47R and .22R and the results were indeed better in my situation.
I did not change anything with the power supply yet and the background noise was reduced to a faint hiss from the speakers. I’m using a 6 speed fan control which was on speed 4 previously, now I just need the slowest speed 1 to keep the cpu coolers at 40°C. Voltage across R131 is very stable now hovering around .604v, previously it would slowly dip to around .585v
I haven’t had enough music time, tomorrow is another day. :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I originally had .33R and .12R resistors in R131 and R132 respectfully. After getting feedback from X and Hugh I changed the values to .47R and .22R and the results were indeed better in my situation.
I did not change anything with the power supply yet and the background noise was reduced to a faint hiss from the speakers. I’m using a 6 speed fan control which was on speed 4 previously, now I just need the slowest speed 1 to keep the cpu coolers at 40°C. Voltage across R131 is very stable now hovering around .604v, previously it would slowly dip to around .585v

Awesome news. This sounds like good advice for future builds. Use 0.47R and 0,22R on R131, R132, respectively.

Thanks for trying it out so quickly. Going from fan speed 4 to 1 probably is a big difference in fan audibility too.

:cheers:

Hi Irribeo,

So far, the cpu coolers have no problem controlling the heat at 22vdc. Although, I will be increasing to about 25-26vdc when my transformer arrives. The fans I’m using have a speed control and they are at the lowest/quietest speed.

With low voltage and 4 ohm speakers fan or fans was/were at lowest speed. Voltage remained a problem with transformer, still low, but now with 8 ohm load the fan needed speed 4. Ambient temperature much higher ???

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I did an experiment last night and reduced R113 to 15k for a 23.5dB gain amp. This in combination with the Aksa Lender Preamp running with 6k8 feedback resistors in combination produced an unbelievably good sound. I was listening to a 1956-1957 recording of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, a CD I have had for many years, but now it is like WOW, the vocals clarity, dynamics, depth of realism, it was like they were there in my lab - singing live. The nuances and emotions of “Summertime” was something was not quite prepared to experience. Just wonderful - I almost slipped into staying up all night just to listen over my music collection but had some self control and stopped at 330AM :) Work today still has to get done despite my wishes to just enjoy my music.

This works because I am driving with a good preamp. If you don’t have a preamp, you should probably keep it at usual 27dB gain with R113 set at 22k.

I have asked Vunce to try same configuration to see if he experiences similar increase in SQ. So with experience we are seeing some fine points of the setup that might be customized depending on your application.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X, you still recommending carbon film (such as Ohmite OK series) for R113? Looks like a brown sausage for your latest board?

BK

I did a test with Vishay Dale metal film 1% for R113 and it was not detrimental to harmonic distortion. So stay away from metal thick film, but metal thin film and carbon thin film appear to be ok.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X, can you tell me how many watts into 8 ohms a 1.35 bias will give, and if my heat sinks are good enough to allow me to use more bias will that be detrimental to sound quality at all.
Regards
Alan

It depends more on your PSU rail voltages and how much or little they sag under load. With the SMPS and step up booster I was able to dial a predictable voltage. For 1.3amps and with +/-25.0v rails I was able to get 23.5wrms into 8ohms before onset of clipping. For a +/-24.0v it would be 20.2wrms into 8ohms. If you have rail sag below 24v, it will be less. The 1.35amp bias current is more of an issue for low impedance loads.