Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Vunce,

I see the ALPHA20 as a competent V6. But the BB is a V8, with all that entails of effortless performance. The thermal issues using CPU fans/heatpipes make it a no brainer for cooling, X did his brilliant work on that and to run these very large mosfets at 108W dissipation EACH at less than 10C rise over ambient is a revelation in Class A. A friend told me recently he bought an Aleph 4, locally built, and EACH channel uses monstrous free air heatsinks, four 400x150, and with 300W heat from each channel he tells me he can't put his fingers on the heatsinks after about an hour. And in Melbourne we are in winter, with 8pm ambient temperatures outside around 8C. I'm guessing his operating temp would be around 60C+. That's hot........

He does love the sound, however. Of course he does!! But I think the ALPHA has more resolution than most of the Alephs.

I advise taking the kids to soccer. They will love you for it. It will be some years since they love building amps.......

Hugh

The English complain about the temperature but more than a few also about something that is more in line with AKSA proposed listening rating earlier in this thread, PRAT. A quote taken from a UK forum:

"I built an Aleph 30 some years ago... the most disappointing amp I've ever built, and I've built a lot! The sound is very spacious, airy and clean sounding BUT seems to have minimal prat and just, dare I say it, unmusical. I would sum it up by saying "All hifi and no music". A basic NCC200 was hugely better than the Aleph."

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Vunce,

I see the ALPHA20 as a competent V6. But the BB is a V8, with all that entails of effortless performance.

I advise taking the kids to soccer. They will love you for it. It will be some years since they love building amps.......

Hugh

Hugh,
The anticipation is killing me of how the ALPHA’s compare to each other.
But, one lesson I quickly learned in this hobby is Do Not Rush!!

Yes, soccer Sunday will prevail. If it wasn’t for my family being so understanding with my DIYA addiction, I would not have been able to take over the dining room as my ‘lab’. :)

Waiting to see how glorious pcb's they are! Question about remote located psu; I used to have filtering caps near psu and other caps near amp. So filtering caps in two places. Can I move all the necessary filtering caps close to amplifier and leave none to remote psu-unit? I have couple of ideas how my B.B. should be build like..