Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Hello X and builders (PASS one concerned too),

what do you think about universal power supply?

- CLC (XLR input connector as option otherwise hole or faston)
- dual bridge (8x TO247/TO220 and snubber)
- CapX (credits goes to @Prasi and @JUMA, his logo and her name on board)
- CRCRC (châssis grounding included)

25EUR pro panel (by 50 pieces order): 442x110x2mm, 70µm CU, ENIG, silkscreen and vias cemetery.

JP

Attachments

• UNIVERSAL-PSU-TOP.png
    UNIVERSAL-PSU-TOP.png
    778.8 KB · Views: 361
  • UNIVERSAL-PSU-BOT.png
    UNIVERSAL-PSU-BOT.png
    817.6 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s probanly more a matter of the max power dissipation. If going 32v on Alpha 20, you need to swap to big IXYS TO-264 MOSFETs as it is now putting out 50w ea (assuming 1.5amp bias). I think you have two attached to one CPU cooler and they can do 125w so should be ok the with a fan. But since IRP240/9240 are so cheap, you could try it (with dummy resistor load) and see what happens. You will need to adjust the LTP bias resistors to limit LTP total current to 2mA. Probably copying the settings for Alpha BB is your best bet for runnning at 32v rails. 50w is over the SOA of the IRCP240/9240.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thanks X.
I have a pair of Hypex SMPS’s just sitting in the draw waiting for a home. I would use them for the BB, but I don’t think they can supply enough current
(3.4A continuous)
If I use them with a CapMx, I can get the voltage dropped to about 32Vdc, I would not rework my current ALPHA20 for this power supply, it would be a complete new build with the heavier duty output devices.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You can always drop voltage with bigger R’s on CRC. Just make sure they are rated for the power. Bigger R values will really reduce ripple but get hot. It’s ok for Class A as long as you are strong the requisite steady state bias current you need. There is no dynamic current requirements on SE Class A, unlike Class AB. A Cap Mx is also good for 4v drop.

Hi Vunce,

I've done a bit of work with a friend on smps for audio amplifiers. We found that after we spent money on additional caps and inductors to clean up the sound, the total cost was higher than a good linear with a CRCRC.

Paul, a good friend of mine, did some spice work on power supply ripple. He found that a cap multiplier reduced the ripple to very low levels with modest caps, but the ripple was more like a sawtooth than a sinewave. This begs the question about whether the higher orders of the 100/120Hz intrude into the audio band; he found that a CRCRC was not as efficient, and certainly more expensive, but the small ripple was a good sinewave, very few high orders.

After all the enthusiasm for the ALPHA I'm building one too. I have used four 15mF caps with three pairs of 0.15R resistors, a CRCRCRC, for EACH rail - all on one pcb. I calculate that ripple will be around 12-15mV but pure sinewave, and I'm hoping that the high PS rejection ratio should leave it silent. I'm using 480W mosfets and will use around 26V on the rails.

I'll let you know and send the photos!!

Cheers,

Hugh

Joined 2014
Paid Member
After all the enthusiasm for the ALPHA I'm building one too.

Hugh,

This is fantastic news that you are joining in the ALPHA20 build :)
I’m looking forward to hearing your own impressions of the amp.

At the moment, my ALPHA20 is dialed in very well. It’s more out of curiosity to implement the SMPS’s I have to compare against the linear power supply version.

Cheers,

Vunce

Last edited:
Cheaper and better and more quiet than the Noctua in LaScala amplifier is Zalman CNPS8900 or whatever they call that size copper spiral looking top-down sinks these days, expect around 10 degrees Celsius higher temperature than cheaper xrk's Deepcool at similar noiselevel (Noctua pictured with LaScala around 25 degrees Celsius higher temperature (for 36V BBversion) and 10 dB higher noiselevel (compared to xrk budgetcooler). (might get you from futuristic proto to finished amp, easier)

Last edited: