AD1865 the best DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Creating a DIY non oversampling DAC with PCM1704

This should work. where is the i2s from?

The I2S is coming from my QA-550 SD card player. The outputs are labelled DAT, BCK and LRCK. (MCK also available).

From looking at the schematic on the Audiodesignguide page on the AD1865 it seems that I need to connect
DAT to pins 10 and 15 (Data R and L)
BCK to pin 12 (CLK)
LRCLK to pin 14 (Latch L)
LRCLK inverted via 74HC04 to pin11 (Latch R)

Can it be this simple, or have I missed something (or many things :()?

I need help!
Anybody knows the maximum dc voltage of the input of the external output stage for the ditect coupling with the current output of the AD1865 that is normaly 0V dc and normally only AC?
Where I can find on the data sheet?
Normally I see many schematics that have about 2V.
Thanks
Ciao
Guglielmo

Great Collaboration

This is a very welcome project. The boards look very well done, the price now is really very reasonable and of course the design is great, too. I am using a TDA1541A Aya dac that is very nice, but would like to try this approach and compare. A kit would be very helpful, as it takes considerable time and effort to collect all the parts, especially living in some far flung places, like Vietnam.

Is there any thought to producing the boards for the tube output? I was considering making a small batch of the boards for personal use. This would be a nice addition to the offering and save me the trouble, too!

CS8414 receiver chip should have separate power supply for digital part and separate power supply for analog part.
74HC04 should have separate supply also.
DAC chip AD1865 should have 3 separate power supplies. One for +5V digital, one for +5V analog and one for -5V analog.
All together 6 power supplies. And I see only 3. To share same supply for receiver and DAC chip is not the best thing you can do.

At output of Simplistic Salas shunt reg you have 2 capacitors, 470uF and 0.1uF. Before TL431 you have 220uF and 10nF, after TL431 you have again 220uF and 10nF. At chip supply pins you have another 47uF and 0.1uF. Together 8 capacitors for each supply pin?

Why shunting shunt regulator with a lot of caps and TL431? More caps = better sound? :rolleyes:

CS8414 receiver chip should have separate power supply for digital part and separate power supply for analog part.
74HC04 should have separate supply also.
DAC chip AD1865 should have 3 separate power supplies. One for +5V digital, one for +5V analog and one for -5V analog.
All together 6 power supplies. And I see only 3. To share same supply for receiver and DAC chip is not the best thing you can do.

1. You know, all the sound equipment are important to a separate power source. I used to separate Tl 431 to each power before in different locations.

2. If you use only Boad DAC-ENd , you can use suplly simple +5 V and - 5v single is is ok, but not needed to Bo Salas..

At output of Simplistic Salas shunt reg you have 2 capacitors, 470uF and 0.1uF. Before TL431 you have 220uF and 10nF, after TL431 you have again 220uF and 10nF. At chip supply pins you have another 47uF and 0.1uF. Together 8 capacitors for each supply pin?

Why shunting shunt regulator with a lot of caps and TL431? More caps = better sound? :rolleyes:
I show many capacitor parallel , the sound is better

Im sorry, my english is not good! very bad!

Attachments

• DAC End (Small).JPG
    DAC End (Small).JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,433
The AD1865 chip like many others dual power supply DAC have no dc output.

The AD1853, AD1955, CS4397, CS4398, PCM1798, PCM1794, WM8740 have 2.5v dc on both dac outputs.

The TDA1541 is a dual power supply DAC but it have a little dc output, few mVolt.

----

I am starting a collaboration with quanghao to produce some DAC pcb boards and kit

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/155960-dac-end-andrea-ciuffoli-group-buys.html
This is a good idea, Andrea. PCB printing and parts assembly could be made in Vietnam by Quang Hao Group. Parts from Digi-Key, labor is cheap and skillful, final test is run on Oscilo. I'm quite happy with this DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.