AD1865 the best DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IV image

Attachments

• Iv-3.jpg
    Iv-3.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 1,472
  • Iv1.jpg
    Iv1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 1,364
  • Iv2.jpg
    Iv2.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 1,346
Why do people keep using SRPP tube outputs on DAC's
? They are push-pull and get very unbalanced with the load (input impedance of the amp.)

I've comapred several tube outputs for DAC's and nothing sounds better with the right tube in a simple grounded cathode. Its SET and with the right tube can power any amp with a reasonable input impedance (40kohm or higher.)

The other issue with the AD1865 is the low output current you are going to use a high resistance I/V resistor which is not good. Best to parallel 4 AD865's to get a higher current and less load on the DAC Chip.

The SRPP / Topen pole in some case can lost sweetness because it is a little bit aggressive.
In any case I have ear some SRPP with a very good sound better than other gnd ground.
The sound of SRPP depend by the tube quality and in the gnd ground depend also by the quality of anodic resistor.
The best is a gnd ground with output transformer but in this case the cost of the project will be 10x.
I suggest to use only Jan Philips or Mullard tubes as low level.

Sure if we parallel more AD1865 we can get more output current so many output volatge but we need in any case an voltage amplifier because never we will have the standard 2Vrms.

I have make some experiment with lower output I/V resistor value but the sound lost details so I have choisen the best.

The SRPP / Topen pole in some case can lost sweetness because it is a little bit aggressive.
In any case I have ear some SRPP with a very good sound better than other gnd ground.
The sound of SRPP depend by the tube quality and in the gnd ground depend also by the quality of anodic resistor.
The best is a gnd ground with output transformer but in this case the cost of the project will be 10x.
I suggest to use only Jan Philips or Mullard tubes as low level.

And what do you think of the russian tubes ( like 6N2P (6Н2П)) on Lampizator's website?

To drive correctly a final stage with 10Kohm it is necessary have and output impedance near to 1Kohm and it not easy to do this with a gnd ground stage.
In any case I consider 1Kohm as the max output impedance on any audio component.

Most tube amps have an input impedance of 50k or greater, a grounded cathode 6N6P sounds much better than an unbalanced SRPP.

These hybrid circuits sound very bad, see about my test on:

New 2A3

The measurements are good but the sound is terrible.

In your circuit, I tried the CCS followed by a load resistor, calculated to match up the Rp and intended gain, which came out good sound. So a dual jobs in a line: CCS manages current while the resistor handles gain and classic sound. CCS source could be shared for different stages/channel. Did you test and measure this fun run?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.