Acoustat Answer Man is here

I'll be darned! The hair dryer thing worked! I am very glad to have my speakers back to darn near perfect. Thanks everyone for your help.

Very sad about Mr. Acoustat. I posted about that in another thread when I first got these. I looked around to find what boards he posted to as I knew he was a huge fan and source of knowledge. That got me here, but I also obviously found out about his passing. Hopefully he's smiling somewhere that I have these old beauties working well again.

Hi Andy, what is the best way to use my 3300 with Servo tube amps ?? Any chance of using the spectra x-over with the tube amps??

The 'best' way would be to forget the idea. I suppose it could be done, but not without considerable knowledge and modification to the servo amp. Since the Spectra series uses a segmented, variable-area approach, the equalization of the driving unit is very different from a full-area speaker. That is, as the area becomes smaller with increasing frequency, the equalization must become accordingly 'hotter'.

As far as using the Spectra's segment resistors to roll-off the non-full range areas, yes, that would be a necessary part of the arrangement.

@AcoustatAnswerMan

Hello AcoustatAnswerMan

I have been working on a Transnova TNT-200 clone for about a 'hundred years' now. I've decided that it just has to get done, my 1 + 1's have been waiting along time. Question, if you can answer, I see on the Hafler 9505, the anisotropic fb has increased to 56.2K from the 4.7K on the TNT, and the complimentary is dropped all together, and the gfb (Black) is reduced to 24.9K from 33.2K, any ideas why Mr Strickland did this?

Thanks
MI

PS I have already ordered pcb for the original design, plus or minus, just curious.

Hello AcoustatAnswerMan

I have been working on a Transnova TNT-200 clone for about a 'hundred years' now. I've decided that it just has to get done, my 1 + 1's have been waiting along time. Question, if you can answer, I see on the Hafler 9505, the anisotropic fb has increased to 56.2K from the 4.7K on the TNT, and the complimentary is dropped all together, and the gfb (Black) is reduced to 24.9K from 33.2K, any ideas why Mr Strickland did this?

Thanks
MI

PS I have already ordered pcb for the original design, plus or minus, just curious.

I'm sorry I cannot answer that question with any satisfaction. Maybe 25 years ago I could've taken a stab at it. But being a somewhat different topology, I would certainly expect some values to be different.

Here's a link to Jim Strickland's original Transnova White Paper, which you may find of some interest. It's located on the 'new' Hafler Co's website. http://hafler.com/pdf/the-transnova-topology.pdf If you'd like to continue discussion of Transnova Amplifiers, I suggest you start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

I drive my Spectra 4400's with a Hafler 9500, and I hope both of them last forever.

Here's a link to Jim Strickland's original Transnova White Paper, which you may find of some interest. It's located on the 'new' Hafler Co's website. http://hafler.com/pdf/the-transnova-topology.pdf If you'd like to continue discussion of Transnova Amplifiers, I suggest you start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

I drive my Spectra 4400's with a Hafler 9500, and I hope both of them last forever.

Yeah, I knew it was OT. Thanks, for the link, it helped. BTW, nice system.

MI

woofer repair/replacement for Model 1

I just took possession of Acoustat Model 1 speakers with a woofer that needs the foam surround replaced. Who provides this service? Alternatively, I'm open to the possibility of replacing the woofer, if that's the better way to go. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

My 2 cents, nope, if you want to do something worthwhile, add another Diode / Cap to power supply for a higher bias voltage...

I agree. I recently had the 2123 interfaces for my Spectra 22 refurbished. All caps, resistors, wiring, binding posts and power cords were replaced with modern parts. But I believe the most important change was upping the bias voltage to 6KV and making sure it was equal for both speakers. The speakers seem much easier to drive now for my tube amp, I find myself listening with the volume control on my preamp at around 9 or 10 O'clock verses the 11 or 12 previously. Music seems more dynamic and punchy. Everything seems better, its like Acoustat on steroids!
Best upgrade I have ever made to my system.

I did not come up with this mod!

After liveing with this mod for over 10 years.... it a way get more even output out of wire ESL panels.....after all the wire come in....goes up an down an is just cut at the end......there for the wire has to be driven by the tranfourm with a open end...so one side of the panel were the wire come in get more input ......than the other side were the wire ends......on paper some well say it makes no diff....but making all the wire be driven uniformly over its entire surface, ...gives better output ......
Acoustat made some of there panels with 5 wire...... before thay cut the wire in the cen of the panel .....to make the Spectra panels .....an ran bouth ends back to the one input so the panels would be driven more evenly......I have have had some of these panels...............Andy can give more input on the 5 wire none Spectra panels

put some pic of how ezey it is to do.............
an it makes what already are great panels....give higher output .....not hard to see the atvantig

pic1 is the done panel.....cover with hot glue......so there well be no arcking some leave open...
pic2 is the stock panel
pic3 is using the razor to nip the ends off see the bare wire
pic4 tacking a wire down to make the hole panel input feed even....

sorry pic are not the best but I think you get the jest..........

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    753.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    742.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    747.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    738.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Acoustat_Panel_03[1].jpg
    Acoustat_Panel_03[1].jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Hi tyu.
Thank you for the info on welding the heads on the panels. Can this be done on Spectra panels as well?
I am thinking of taking my panels out and washing them in a tub (one day). Although they appear in good shape with very few wrinkles , some of the areas of Mylar appear slightly discoloured as if maybe something was spilled on them. Maybe this just happens over time.Is this worthwhile to do or more trouble than it's worth. The sound is great right now but can it get better? How hard is it to take out the panels, are they soldiered to the wires, and how hard is it to reconnect?
Another area of interest is the frames. Rather then building new ones I am thinking of reinforcing or strengthening the existing frame. Has anyone tried something like a Mye stand to brace their Accoustats?
The sound after the interface refurbishment improved so much I am wondering how much better thay can get. Now I understand why you spend so much time and effort modifying Acoustats.
Any info from you or Andy or the other Acoustat experts really appreciated. These thinks rock!
Long live Acoustat!

I say NO to the washing of panels...........the bias coating is old...dry...an can come off.....
Jim ...an ML....siad to to use compress air....50-70 psi......get all the dust buges out...
At one time ...I have a lot of Acoustat panels....I washed my panels.... till I saw that it was not drit come off...but the black Ampx tape coating jim used for the bias....you need all you got.................................but this is just me....other can do what the like......

With the nom Acoustat panels ....not the Spectra panels.....can have front an back & top an bottem wire setup with the mod I posted.....it been around for over 10 years....
I have 8ea Spectra panels......I like the sound of the none Spectra acoustats...
I am not into diffusion of esl panel sound ......I use the Spectra tranfourmers... to run my panel fullrang only............Spectra transfourms have no crossover on the primary side like the older 121 interfaces.............

Last edited:
Thanks for the response tyu.
Since I don't plan to defeat the spectra system at this time and panel washing could cause more harm than good I will just leave the panels were they are.
Breathing a major sigh of relief!
Do you do any work on the frames?
Here is a picture of my naked Spectra's in action. They sound much better without the socks. Planning on making some new Spandex socks soon.
For $1k plus $650 to rebuild the interfaces, the best sound I have ever had in my room. I paid $2500 for my Totem Hawks 17 years ago and these are in another league. What can you get for $1650 these days? A decent pair of bookshelfs? LOL.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
One of the bigest thing I found with the 1+1....2+2s....an all the Spectra.....is that.. the panels are at almost 90 degrees......this dose not give the ear... the max output.....putting any of the lover type panels.... Acoustat the most there the smallest....if at about 70 degrees back are more......gives more an better output....
all of the first Acoustat ....were all made to alow this agestment .....even the Xs my first Acoustat was fixet at about 70 degrees.........Xs sat the panels on the floor...
Now as we all may say..... my god ......could these panels sound any better.....than just the way thay are?????..........
I have said minny thimes.... the bias upgread parts in the stock bias less than $20-30 is a must...are like my outboard bias setup so you can set the bias from 4-7k....is one of the best ways to get way beter sound.....,hay if it good for Soundlab ESLs ...were you can set the bias....the only thing close to the Acoustats.....well that I have owened.....

Now can you get more bass...with the panel mod you get better output of the pane...it helps drive the panels mylar more evenly.............so to my ear you get more every thing bass-med-highs......................................to others an myself.....

Now as for frams..............if you can think it...someone has tried it with these panels....
I seen real wood to copper tubeing made frams...........
I have found the the less ridid mounting of the panels sounds better...an it sounds like there more even output...................

All just one mans finding after 30 years of owening Acoustats....an demanding as much as I can get out of these great panels................Have fun ........an yes long live Acoustat panels.......................

To run all the Spectra panels fullrang............you can see that all you do is move all the panels inputs. ...on there side....too were the white an blue fullrang outputs are..... the frist output point on ea ........well work with the 11-1100....2-22-2200.....3-33-3300......same
see pic.............
this to me sounds the best................but that's me....allways go back to stock
have fun...............

Attachments

• spectra33[1][1].JPG
    spectra33[1][1].JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 126
By saying the panels should be 70 degrees rather than 90 are you saying the panels should be tilted down towards the listening seat (by putting something under the rear part of the wood base)? Actually the Spectra 22 have a means to tilt the panels upward at a greater angle than 90 degrees built into the design. I run mine straight up at 90.
Agree with the higher bias, I run mine now at 6KV and everything is better; the are easier to drive and have more punch and bass. I use a 90 watt tube amp (Rogue audio Stereo 90) and can get very high sound levels in my smaller room. Much louder than I will ever need.

Hey kids, just picked up my first pair of Acoustats about an hour ago. They are the 1+1s and I got them pretty cheap. However, we had no way of testing or demonstrating them before bringing them home.

At any rate, I can't get a peep out of either one. What am I doing wrong here guys?

Any help will be MUCH appreciated!