Acoustat Answer Man is here

"are you saying the panels should be tilted down towards the listening seat "............
NO ...an by the way....what speakers are made to be setup that way??...........I never seen any
canted back..........here you can see in the pic.....for get pic 3sorry

pic 1 staxs....
pic 2 M4s....see stock Acoustat with the ajustabel black brackets....for canting back...........
pic 4 M3s....see the cant back....
when canted back.....the ear is more inline with more opening too the mylar....there for you get more output to the ear......less diffraction from the top of the lovers square..............when at 90dedg........ear only hears the lover dead on...less output to the ear..................now I am not saying you don't like these panels setup any way you can.....................for me more output is better one more db output makes a diff.....with ESLs anyway....

Attachments

• ab esl.png
    ab esl.png
    343.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    743.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 4___________-F-001-941-ACO[1].jpg
    4___________-F-001-941-ACO[1].jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 225
  • moinitor4[1].jpg
    moinitor4[1].jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 239
"are you saying the panels should be tilted down towards the listening seat "............
NO ...an by the way....what speakers are made to be setup that way??...........I never seen any
canted back..........here you can see in the pic.....for get pic 3sorry

pic 1 staxs....
pic 2 M4s....see stock Acoustat with the ajustabel black brackets....for canting back...........
pic 4 M3s....see the cant back....
when canted back.....the ear is more inline with more opening too the mylar....there for you get more output to the ear......less diffraction from the top of the lovers square..............when at 90dedg........ear only hears the lover dead on...less output to the ear..................now I am not saying you don't like these panels setup any way you can.....................for me more output is better one more db output makes a diff.....with ESLs anyway....

I see, you mean tilting the panels backward. That can be done with my Spectra's I will give it a try. Thanks!

Hey kids, just picked up my first pair of Acoustats about an hour ago. They are the 1+1s and I got them pretty cheap. However, we had no way of testing or demonstrating them before bringing them home.

At any rate, I can't get a peep out of either one. What am I doing wrong here guys?

Any help will be MUCH appreciated!

I think the only way to fix them, is to sell the panels to me..:D You did check the simple stuff, right, fuses, power plugged in, etc. turn the source up, put your ear up to the panel, do you hear anything, very low level, if so your bias maybe gone. Then it's time to crack open the interface, only if you understand high voltage safety and have the tools for it. There are two internal fuses for the bias. I have a manual somewhere, maybe, probably lost it. Be safe.

MI

I think the only way to fix them, is to sell the panels to me..:D You did check the simple stuff, right, fuses, power plugged in, etc. turn the source up, put your ear up to the panel, do you hear anything, very low level, if so your bias maybe gone. Then it's time to crack open the interface, only if you understand high voltage safety and have the tools for it. There are two internal fuses for the bias. I have a manual somewhere, maybe, probably lost it. Be safe.

MI

Haha. Well I got them working after all. I did go back to simple things and swapped my spade lugged speaker cables for banana plugs and they work rather well now thank you.

I'm getting a light, intermittent popping sound from the panels all the time. What causes this and can I get rid of it easily? Also, with low bass notes one of the panels displays a vibration (sound). What would this be attributed to?

I'm getting a light, intermittent popping sound from the panels all the time. What causes this and can I get rid of it easily? Also, with low bass notes one of the panels displays a vibration (sound). What would this be attributed to?

Read through this whole thread, you will get to know your speakers very well. Your panel diaphragms are probably dirty and loose, high bass levels will take the panels to their travel limit.

MI

Well I did tilt the panels back as Tyu suggested and the sound is better. At first I thought it softened the treble too much but after listening for a bit I think the top end is actually more neutral and less beamy now. Soundstage is better and sweet spot is larger. I guess that's why Acoustat built the ability to tilt into the speakers. Well worth trying if you have Acoustats.
Don't think my tilt is quite 70 degrees. I will be experimenting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 257
I use a trypoid 3 leg type setup......a back leg.. that run from the floor up too the top plate
take them back more...... then little by little back up.....you hit the right spot an youll get more output..........that the sweet spot....
at 90-80 degrees.....the the image is high.....I have found....there is that one spot....all these is ezey for me to say........I have 14' from inside too inside of my M3...in a 18'X40'X14' all open...with a 18'X6' tall movebal wall ....room size to day is 18'X25'.......
BIG image....Acoustat Are like Apogee ribbons....never seen a hole in the image in the middle no matter how wide....
I think it worth the time........................have fun.........

Last edited:
Also, will I really notice a difference if I Replace the green monster cable in it?
If the cable looks like this:

wire.jpg

then I would advise replacement. That is the old Monster found in my 2+2s years ago. I replaced it and found that transparency improved. As for me, I find that cable and contact oxidation is always detrimental to sound quality as it adds false brightness.

Similarly, I clean all the contacts in my system on an annual basis with De-Oxit. You may be surprised how much grunge accumulates. :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi tyu.
Another area of interest is the frames. Rather then building new ones I am thinking of reinforcing or strengthening the existing frame. Has anyone tried something like a Mye stand to brace their Accoustats?

Well what I have found is the the less rigid the panels are monted to the frame....the better high frc.....an more output I get out of these panles
In the 1980s when I spoke to Jim Strickland....he told me the panels could be used on there on.....like free standing driver that would work fine ...
I was thinking. like 1 panel maybe rear Surround Sound Speakers .....he had panels hanging an playing in his shop. with out frames....

So in my stock frams when the speaker are canted back......I losen all the 8ea screws.....are even remove them.....I get less noise out of the panels this way....when driven hard.......gofig..

In these pic of a set I have put to gather......to see what is lost or gained when the panels are play over your head....like the 1+1s..2+2s an so on...6s...8s..............the top panel only 2 screws holding an no frame ....what I hear with the 7' panel......is better bass....a little more three-dimensional sound....not much...
I have had the 1+1...2+2s....but never cared for the sound ....may be it was that at the stock 90.degrees the standing wave.in the room......never sound right..................
I tried canted them back....but the Acoustat M3,4s always sound better to me
I have also found that not have the panels ran to the floor sound much better...
1... the top an bottem of the panels mylar give less output.....than in the middle that give most max output...........when the panles near the floor the top of the panels close to the ear.........an then when the panels are stacket... the bottem of the next panels starts an now.....2 of the lest output spots of the panels....at the ear....
2.. the floor reinforcement.....is not need for good sound..or bass.....an better image...
Also you see in the pic....that there nothing on the bottem.....it open....just the panels are framed.....I had this closed in....but lost so much I pulled it out................
I have found this give more output....better bass...meds....highs...
hay....now I am not saying that the 1+1s An 2+2s don't work are that thay don't sound good...great.....thay do.....this is just one mans finding after 30 years with these Great panels......................
have fun..........................

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    752 KB · Views: 192
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    742.9 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
the top an bottem of the panels mylar give less output.....than in the middle that give most max output

Makes sense as the mylar near border is less excursion / amplitude than center.... I have been toying with idea of having three panels side by side with center at ear height. I spend 95% of my time sitting with my ear level at top of bottom / bottom of top panel height on my 2+2....not exactly optimum,. but still great....

This is also probably explains why you prefer them slanted back too...

Yup, I am a master of the obvious....Duh...

Last edited:
Loosen the 8 screws? I have them nice and tight. I will try it!
Also I had to tilt my panels up a little more as I lost too much highs as I sit on a low couch and speakers are only 7 1/2 feet away. Got my highs back and still have the superior imaging you get with the tilt. I would say I have about 75 to 80 degree tilt.
Man these things are directional only a tiny change in tilt or toe in makes a big difference in tone and soundstaging. And these are Spectras which are supposed to address the directionality. Can't imagine dealing with the earlier full range models.
Having fun!

Kazap......thanks for the pic...................looks like M4s....open on the bottem....I have went back an forth...with this.... but open give the best sound... I new it sounded better the frist time I heard it.....but all the stock Acoustat have the bottem filled in to the floor....funny ...trust you ears.......................vary cool pr of 4s..... but what type with the super tweeter....??

I have Spectras an the early frist ones...I like all only ran fullrang....I posed this..
but all are vary directional....
I think all Acoustat panels must be monted flat..........the Spectras are even more directional............because the panels there not realy delay.......well to my ear........but thay work because there Acoustats............. vary hard to make them sound Bad...............
2ea screws per panels sounds about right to me..........have more fun....

Last edited: