A twisted tale about a logarithmic relay attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you guys make a PCB to adapt a Lorlin rotary switch that can switch the input with one contact and switch on LEDS with the other contact.

For the attenuator or the source selector?

For the attenuator, we use a pot, not a rotary switch, so that would not work.

For the source selector (Darwin) you could do it with a single deck rotary switch. Just run GND to the switch's common, then from each position tap back to the darwin input header. Then run +5V to the LEDs+ (common) and a resistor from the switch taps to the LED-. There is no audio signal going through the switch, so no worries there, and the switch can be a cheaper unit.

Well, you could do that, but your XLR (balanced) output will not be balanced. You would need a balanced converter to make it actually balanced (differential) output. If you are using an X-BoSoZ or something similar (which I happen to know you are ;) ), you would want to go single-ended inoput to that (tie -IN to GND), then balanced out to the Joshua Tree (balanced) to your balanced amp.

BrianDonegan said:
Well, you could do that, but your XLR (balanced) output will not be balanced. You would need a balanced converter to make it actually balanced (differential) output. If you are using an X-BoSoZ or something similar (which I happen to know you are ;) ), you would want to go single-ended inoput to that (tie -IN to GND), then balanced out to the Joshua Tree (balanced) to your balanced amp.

So the volume pot would come after the pre-amp board right.? Not before it. I was going to design a balanced board converter but then Brian ( briangt) said to ask you and i believe he also said that your pre-amp will convert single ended to balanced for me.

Jason, there is no volume pot in the signal path.

For a single ended source into a balanced input power amp you would do this:

SE Source --SE-> XBOSOZ -BAL-> Attenuator(2 x JT) -BAL-> Power Amp

For a singled single ended source into a single ended power amp you would do this:

SE Source --SE-> XBOSOZ -SE-> Attenuator(1 x JT) -SE-> Power Amp

-SE-> = Single ended wiring.

-BAL-> = balanced wiring.

To operate Twisted XBOSOZ in SE mode(both in and out) you simply short IN- and IN GND as well as OUT- and OUT GND.

For SE in and balanced out you only short IN- and IN GND.

For balanced in SE out you would short only OUT- and OUT GND.

Balanced in and balanced out requires nothing but wiring to the correct inputs and outputs.

Hope that helps.

jleaman said:

So the volume pot would come after the pre-amp board right.? Not before it.

Correct.

Russ, why don't you revist my suggestion onPost #7 of your x-ccs-bosoz thread--

Since I am making suggestions, how about you modify the schematic and put in the vol control? The only reason is that you would then be the only one to have a full X-CCS-BOSOZ schematic with vol control, apparently since its so "obvious" no one includes it in their schematics.

Plus if you are making boards people will wonder where to hook up the vol so even if you just have some holes with a label it would be a little easier for beginners. Also its kind of odd to have a preamp circ lacking volume.....but of course its up to you.

Seems that while you are now making a very nice vol contrul people don't know where to put it.

Progress.. :)

Hi Folks. Well the PCBs got here a few days ago, and I built an SMD version of the Joshua Tree and a through hole version with the kit .6W Pheonix resistors. I can say I like ethem both equally.

There was a small production error on botth the controller and the relay PCB which I was able to correct with an exacto knife and a jumper wire, but I had to have the whole batch remade for the kits. Not going to make you guys mod PCBs. :) So the kits/PCB may be delayed a week or so, but not more. They actually may get here on time.

Here is a stacked controller with the Pheonix JT.

Attachments

• picture 001.jpg
    picture 001.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 2,037
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.