A twisted tale about a logarithmic relay attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
P. Lambda said:
I would be interested in the attenuator kit.
Will the controller come already programmed
or will I have to build a separate board to
download the program on the controller chip?

P.Lambda

If you purchase the kit it will come with a pre-programmed PIC. We will also likely offer PCBs with PIC only for those of you who wish to try your own resisistor combinations.

Cheers!
Russ

jajabin said:
Hi Russ,

What's the estimated price of the kit?

Thanks

Brian is working out a complete BOM and pricing all of the components based on volume. I am not really sure. I can tell you it cost me about $40 to build my SE version. The relays cost about $3.25 a pop in small quantities. And they are pretty much the most expensive things in the kit.

You can count me in. Balanced kit.

Will be used with the xBosoz. With this pre-amp I want to move to remote-controlled. Input selector button(s), volume buttons, mute button.

I have not decided if I want any buttons on the pre-amp. Will want a display though.

I have read very briefly through the links you posted on the compiler, and pic-programmer. I am familiar with programming, but have not done any pic-programming before, so the environment is totally unknown. It seems I want other control options than you are planning at the moment. What are your thoughts on sharing the source code? (hoping there are a higher level language than the hex-code).

Johnny

Nordic said:
Would it not be possible to make the balance adjustment before the signal gets to the DPDT relay network?

Sure... Or you could get a piece of protoboard and create a new controller for two relay PCBs individually. Conect signals and GNDs on the two PCBs(this will lower the impedance by half, but that should still be OK) and you will still be fully utilizing both relay PCBs.

I will eventually offer this second type of controller for L/R balance using two relay PCBs.

If the cost of the controller board is not prohibitive, would it be possible to use two contoller boards and connect the balance pot between the two volume pots (or perhaps a dual gang pot connected to the controller boards)?

I'm still learning but it looks plausible after studying some schematics from Rod Elliot's site.

I considered the idea of a balance pot between the outputs but I believe that would require a dual gang balance pot.

I'm interested in a set of boards for balanced output if that isn't obvious. :D

regards

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.