A DIY event in Denmark?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sounds like a good idea Jens.

A "this you can get away with at home" tool guide would be a good idea.

The board layout, to do and don't would be your area of expertise.

Woodworking is not something I know a whole lot about, and to be honest, I don't think I know anybody who's gonna attend, that's any good with wood, or do I?

Magura :)

Lathing and turning would be also my big question to you. You know some of the new Magico loudspeakers? They use for their enclosures stacked fretworked multiplex plywood - similar to Tony Gee's fabulous "Humble Statement" project (Humble Homemade Hifi). Magico uses, in addition to the stacked plywood, thick metal plates at the frontside and backside, which are connected via threaded rods and cap nuts. A super sturdy enclosure with high inner damping. In my opinion they are fairly approaching to enclosures made of stone or special resins, but they use to be a lot cheaper. I hope I can bug you a bit about the metal plates - lathing, finishing, metal qualities... ;)

I can tinker a longer power cable for your event (5m??? I'll have to check that later!). It was rather designated for 2 self-made power cords, but I can cut them later. Are SchuKo power plugs compatible to Danish sockets?

A good offer, but the Danish plug and socket standard, is AFAIK not really compatible with anything but the Scandinavian and eastern European standard. Anyway, the Danes will just have to keep in mind to bring some, as most of us has plenty.

You got a great idea there, to have a topic about metal alloys. That is one of the most common problems I see people got. That, and how to deal with the respective alloys.

EDIT: If you can explain exactly what you need, I'm sure I can cater for that, and have others entertained in the process.

Last edited:
If you can explain exactly what you need, I'm sure I can cater for that, and have others entertained in the process.

Thank you! :) That would be loudspeaker project number 3 for me! First is finishing a horn loudspeaker for my lowthers (in discouraging slowly going progress - whatever the reasons may be), second would be Papa's B.O.B. project.
The third one: I thought of an elaborated Thor rebuilt. The Thor speakers by Dr. Joe are really awesome, especially with some of the newer crossovers. The German company Intertechnik offers a wonderful stone enclosure for the Thor, but 4300,- Euro (for the pair) are indeed a big chunk of money!
The transmissionline enclosure is simple enough to be manufactured of stacked plywood with the above mentioned metal plates.
But that's a project for late 2010. I'll have to finish the others first.
If Børning Amp 2010 is a success, maybe we can plan for the Thors in 2011?

MAGURA

Do you know if Steenoe is comming ? - And if possible, i have a freind down from here, a new member - Shadowman - who would like to come too, if possible ? - But not sure through, cause he had to had some surgery done on the 14. :(

Steenoe is hibernating, so I guess not.

Feel free to have your friend join in.

All that it takes is that he pays the entry fee in advance, just like the rest.

As written in a previous post, foreigners can pay the fee cash at the event, but all Danes pay in advance.

We have decided, that a talk on metalworking in general, is a good idea, that would benefit just about anyone attending.

I will take care of that, and in the process give some general advice on how to get around the most common obstacles encountered, as drilling, tapping, cutting, and in particular working with copper and aluminium, which mostly is the case.

Is anyone out there experts on soldering? This topic would also be nice to have covered, as soldering seems to be the No. 1 problem to the newcomers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.