A DIY event in Denmark?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, DIY Denmark, is open....

Today we have Floyd42flake, to stay here for the weekend. As you can see he and Magura are getting ready for the event :D

He, Floyd42flake, is a very nice guy... So it's very funny too meet one off the guys...

Mrs. Magura ;)

Attachments

• PICT0894scl.JPG
    PICT0894scl.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 124
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Choky, we miss you here. Next year you have to join us, OK? :)
We are all a little drunk, Magura has quite decent wine and my father has spent a few bottles too.

tnx F42F ;

as I wrote few posts up
BTW - I even forgot to take my new Passport and PID today

...... that was main reason ; to take a trip without visa (at last ! ) to Osterreich ( to Manu's ) , then to Danskeland ..... I need new passport ; but I realize too late that my personal ID expired more than year ago .... :rofl: , and that just prolonged entire process .

they are finished just today , and I even forgot to collect them ..... in any case - I have everything needed now for Danske BAF No.2 ;

just to convince Metaldanske - to organize next one in Spring ....

So... back in CPH from Viborg here are my humble impressions:

Jens Rasmussen started out with a super introduction to Eagle PCB.
We were shown how to make on-the-fly correction in the schematic that would appear in the pcb file.
And how to make your own library of components, which Jens really recommends, copperplanes, ranking, drowning etc.

After Lunch we went to Mr. and Mrs Maguras place to see and hear the enormous amplifiers he build. You can always discuss design, but the finish and craftmansship of the cabinets was absolutely super-class and very impressive. I didn't catch the whole story, but I heard Magura say something about casting aluminum cabinets from melted car-wheels!!! The PS-choke and the drain-coils where huuuuuuge and looked super-nice. Eventhough the sound was very good from the system - wich also included one top-secret preamp brought from Hamburg by Floyd42Flake - everybody stood most of the time and looked into the open amplifier cabinet.

After that we went back to the event-premise to assemble a completely open-framed-frameless Pass Zen Revisited, which was used in the house-demo.

Ask then demonstrated the HolmImpulse software, and that was also deeply impressive. With a PC, a mic, and optionally an external soundcard, you can measure frequency range, phase, THD, and impulse response of your speaker, amplifier, passive crossover, you name it.
How can anyone do without?
And besides being very easy to use, the most impressive thing was that within two minutes of Asks presentation we had the first measurement of the Dynaudio compact speakers, complete with an easy detectable floor reflection.
Can you believe it - the software is even free!!!

If all that werent enough, we were alle deeply impressed by the work of Claus Fonnesbek and "Nelson Bass". They brought a nearly-finished-10-year-project of a no-compromise preamp. A super-low-noise tube-stage, with input switching and 2R2 ladder volumecontrol made with Pickering relays and high-performance resistors. Controls where via a nice big FL display, a very intuitive user-interface, and a supersmooth remote control. The separate powersupply was made with a tube-diode, transformers and chokes from Lunddahl and a dedicated powersupply for the control system.
But the real treat was to watch the extremely nice craftmansship - all the right components and materials, tube-stage flawlessly hardwired, input and volume on very nice modular PCB's right at the balanced+unbalanced terminals. Deeeeeply impressive.

Mrs. Magura has lots of pictures so we will probably see a nice gallery soon :)

All the best - Nrik

Last edited:
Yes, now we are awake.

I have just walked Floyd42Flake to the train.

So, maybe it's time for some pics.

First is of Jens, telling about how to make the best of Eagle, and as you can see, he did so very passionately :cool:

It sure was obvious, that Jens is very knowledgeable regarding board design.

Magura :)

Attachments

• PICT0899scl.JPG
    PICT0899scl.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 175
A part of the event, that seemed to raise quite a bit of fear among some of the attendants :rofl:

A original Zen, in a very well ventilated version. Not to everybody's liking, that bare wires were everywhere :D

However, I was very pleased with that people got to hear it, as everybody agreed that it did in fact sound very good. Something I have had a problem making beginners understand (oh no, I want to make a real amp is the usual answer to suggesting a Zen).

Later measurements confirmed, that the amp is indeed quite nice.

Magura :)

Attachments

• PICT0903scl.JPG
    PICT0903scl.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 176
  • PICT0905scl.JPG
    PICT0905scl.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 170
  • PICT0906scl.JPG
    PICT0906scl.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 172
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.