7"VGA Lilliput + 400w MH project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4:3 image on wide screen

Attachments

• proyector 005b.jpg
    proyector 005b.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,812
Hi Lesko !

I was wondering what Component to VGA adapter are you using?
I have been looking at a couple but are unsure about pitcher quality until now...also what are you using for a screen? and color?

Thanks, I´m using this one but beware of using it with the Lilliput with PAL signals. With NTSC component signal it generates a 720*480 VGA signal that works well with the Lilliput, but with PAL signals it generates a 720*526 VGA signal and the Lilliput cant display it. The Lilliput displays an OverRange message with this adapter receiving a PAL signal.
Some other products I´ve seen around:
http://www.avtoolbox.com/upconpage.shtml

http://www.gameshopusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=102

http://www.grandtec.com/vision2k.htm

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/video-vga-gvm-2000.html

The screen is a Window Shade (I think it is normal BlackOut cloth) that I pick very cheap at wallmart. It´s 1.85mts wide and roll up completely by pulling the screen down shortly and releasing it. (like the pro ones)

Yeah man great job. I still can't get over how good your projector looks. Great work man!
Thanks for your kind words!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Heya beforcade, great work buddy, i must say it would have to be one of the best, if not the best projected image in this forum, well done!:)

Ill help you out a bit here regarding your condenser, the reason it broke? well to be honest with it being temperd or not doesnt realy matter, it does to some exstent, but realy isnt of a great concern. I have one of those lenses here and i can tell you that it is temperd glass, so why did yours break?

A couple of reasons, running sudden cold air on a red hot condenser will cause it to go boom or chink! ie crack, same with bulbs infact so use that as a caution, another reason is the condenser mustnt be done up too tight and also must have even pressure holding it in place. Now if we think about it, glass exspands alot, and if its got no room to move, bang! the weekest point will break, being the condenser.

So my advice to you is this, mount the condenser on metal that cant flex or has very little flex, have 4 points of even pressure, if running a fan run it when the bulb is on, do not run cold air on the condenser in turbulent airflows and all should be fine.

Ive got some of the best grade condensers here, most are borosilcate glass and are temperd, have i broken them before? you bet ya, but i have soon learnt the ways of running and mounting a condenser so they are not to break even with lenses that are not temperd with serious heat. The best way to mount a condenser is loosly in the way tabs hold it in place and there is no down force, ie bolts holding it in place, this is what most pro projectors use and seems to be the best way as we have a given room for the exspantion of the glass when heated.

Anyway buddy i hope it helped
Trev

btw, ive only busted 2 condensers in the last 1and a half years of fooling with em lol

Hey bfourcade I was looking at your previous setup with your Proxima Ovation 842 LCD panel. I just recently got an Ovation+ 920 which similar to yours. Anyways I was interested in building a lilliput setup. How much of a difference did you see between your ovation and lilliput? What about the contrast between the two?

what are you using for the backlight, What is the main reason for it ?

Hi, MisledAaron, Thanks. The backligth showed in the pic it just part of the room light, but it gets covered with the screen when we use the projector. I put this pict just to see the diference in bright with diferents lights on the room.

A couple of reasons, running sudden cold air on a red hot condenser will cause it to go boom or chink! ie crack, same with bulbs infact so use that as a caution, another reason is the condenser mustnt be done up too tight and also must have even pressure holding it in place. Now if we think about it, glass exspands alot, and if its got no room to move, bang! the weekest point will break, being the condenser

Hi Ace ! Thanks for your kind words master !
That is exactly what happened. I put the condenser too tight to the light engine without room for expansion. Anyway I'm still using it on the projector.

Hey bfourcade I was looking at your previous setup with your Proxima Ovation 842 LCD panel. I just recently got an Ovation+ 920 which similar to yours. Anyways I was interested in building a lilliput setup. How much of a difference did you see between your ovation and lilliput? What about the contrast between the two?

Hi dettman23 : The Proxima is a great Panel, very robust (and some noissy) One thing I miss from it is his collor deep. 16millons vs 200K on the Liliput. The Proxima have 100:1 contrast ratio and here the Lilliput is better with a 200:1 contrast ratio. I can tell you it is really noticeable. I can put a lot more of light trough the panel and the blacks stays blacks giving a much more bright image.
In resume: both have pros and cons.
Ovation:
Pros: Robust, durable, Color deep, High cuality components and design.
Cons: Contrast, Noise, Resolution (842)

Lilliput VGA:
Pros: 16/9 800x480 resolution, contrast
Cons: Color deep, very fragile, low quality components.

I can tell you that all the "theoretical" diferences when you compares the specs are noticeables in the "practice" (I hope it makes sense). What I mean it that you know all this before buying (I've told you nothing new) but you never know how exactly this specs diferences will impact on the final results. 100:1 to 200:1 contrast ratio makes a really important diference on the projected image (I can now imagine how a 350:1 or higher contrast ratio panel will perform), but color deep is also really noticeable from 16millions down to 200K.

Anyway I have now a much brighter image but it is not only the panel, but because I have now a much better light engine and and light processing (the same bulb but with a bigger condenser, better fresnels and shorter total distance from bulb to panel, so I've got much more light passing trough the panel than with the previous setup (ovation+OHP like setup).

I hope it helps.

Bernardo.

that s a fantastic projector...can i buy ur plan? i'm seriuos man...hehehe

Hi edwinfriend !
It is not finished yet, there are too much things to improve here. I need to solve the UV and IR problem first and it may change the whole design (it may require a cold mirror in the light path). Anyway there's nothing new in this projector. This design has been imposed or limited by the huge lamp I'm using.

I recomend you to look at the Ace's projector thread for a better and compact design with this panel/fresnel and Triplet. Ace is working on plans for the whole projector and some samples in his thread shows plans of a really high quality.

Thanks for your kind words !
Bernardo.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
Hi Ace ! Thanks for your kind words master !

Hmm not quite the master yet lol, i managed to break 2 condensers last night in a new light engine idea on the 250w, i should have kept my mouth shut lol, but yeah ive mannaged to use atleast 80% of the light from the bulb in the new idea, but one prob, extra heat on the condenser so i beleive now im in the same shoes as you mr beforcade lol.

The image im getting is very much the same as your last pics with the vga converter now, if i had that vga converter, oh my, so maybe we realy dont need the 400w afteral, with this new idea im sure the 400w would be too bright for the lcd.

Trev

Hi Trev !

The component to VGA adapter do not help on brightness nor contrast but it does a lot on sharpness and definition.
Lilliput Composite Video In is poor quality. I can compare it now using the same VGA Boxr with the composite out of the DVD player.
The same composite signal sent to both (the LIlliput via VGA box, and to the Lilliput via composite In) brings a much more sharp image on the VGA input than the composite in input.
So it means that the onboard controller on the liliput have a very basic support for composite video conversion.

But DVD COMPONENT signal to box and then to Lilliput VGA in brings a wide much better sharper and defined image (it´s like using an HTPC vga output but with my home DVD player !!).

I cant wait to hear about your new Light box idea. Post some pics !!

New pics

I've new pics from Toy Story.
Looking for Nemo have much better colours. I used it in one of the first run test with the composite video input on the LIlli and my wife and me get blowed away .
I'll try to get it again to watch it with the component to VGA adapter and take some pics.

Attachments

• 2004-05-05 proyector 088b.jpg
    2004-05-05 proyector 088b.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,429
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.