4th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2007

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:
Come on -- my opinion is only one man's opinion... :)

Of course I was kidding, hence the smiley ;)

...XOs are deceptively tricky beast and we needed to have a good long time to fiddle with them.

Indeed!

One reason I gave up with the spreadsheets (well, I use them for ballpark values) and just use ears and the measuring kit to get the dang things right.

Geek said:
Maybe I'll stick to being a tube geek and leave the speaker listening to you :D

Anyone can listen to speakers or even announce their opinions, however it takes a special type of "geek" to specify or modify enclosure & XO designs that both sound musical and are easy for others to build.

Both Dave and you have achieved that - your little Aura/Audax 2 way is quite impressive.

Thanks! ^_^

Dave and I were talking about maybe getting a 4th (a smaller) room worked out for the smaller speakers to perform best in. Dunno if it'll happen, but it's good gedankenspiel to ponder.

Those µFonken's and other little guys could really shine without the help of a sub in say a 150- 200 sq. ft enclosed area.

Geek said:
Thanks! ^_^

Dave and I were talking about maybe getting a 4th (a smaller) room worked out for the smaller speakers to perform best in. Dunno if it'll happen, but it's good gedankenspiel to ponder.

Those µFonken's and other little guys could really shine without the help of a sub in say a 150- 200 sq. ft enclosed area.

planet10 said:

There is Ruth & everything in that room to contend with... i really need to offload enuff stuff to clear out 1/2 the central bay of the garage.

dave

if next year's event spans several days, we could always arrange for an alternate venue in suburban Gordon Head - there are 3 separate listening rooms therein, one of which certainly would qualify for small room.

Unfortunately no outdoor demo facilities, overnight accommodations, or structures requiring demo - and Cal, T-shirts required.

Kevin, did we ever get a confirmation on your inquiry?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1267108#post1267108

Had a Great Time!

Susan and I arrived home from the vacation today after a long day on the road. We spent a few days in Vancouver with a friend.

I must say that Susan and I had a great time at the FEST and will certainly attend in the future. Everyone was friendly, the food was great and the equipment superb. Thanks again Dave and your wife and all others that helped put it together.

Some of my favorite sound stuff included the Visaton B200's in the open baffle, the Fonken's and the smaller Mileva (brown with black moded drivers). I also liked Terry's two-ways. You guys renewed my interest in the single drivers and I will certainly look at making some speakers using either modified B200's or FE126's.

Cheers,

Doug Woodliffe

The Visaton B200's sounded really great to me, but I do not know how well they would work in my small living room, and I do not have space for open baffels. I will have to do some more checking though, since they did sound very good.

Where do people buy those Visaton B200's, I have not checked a bunch yet and am just being a bit lazy here? The only place I saw was e-speakers.com and they were $135 I think, I have not checked to see how reliable of a web sight they are.

Outside of full range what enclosures are people using for those?

Ed Robinson

Concerning e-speakers.com

germpod said:
The Visaton B200's sounded really great to me, but I do not know how well they would work in my small living room, and I do not have space for open baffels. I will have to do some more checking though, since they did sound very good.

Where do people buy those Visaton B200's, I have not checked a bunch yet and am just being a bit lazy here? The only place I saw was e-speakers.com and they were $135 I think, I have not checked to see how reliable of a web sight they are.

Outside of full range what enclosures are people using for those?

Ed Robinson

Ed,
I can't give any info on the B200's, Dave or perhaps Ed West and Dick Morgan have some insights to share.

However, e-speakers is run by Andre Perrault, who is one of the premiere sound guys in the film industry of Southern California. Andre is a speaker builder/hobbiest and runs e-speakers as a sideline. He tends to carry Hi-End components that some of the others overlook because the market just isn't big enough (at least that's my take on it). Over the years he's turned out some absolutely beautiful speakers, first class cabinet work rivaled only by Ellis and Salk.

He's been at it a number of years and I've never heard anyone that's done business with him that has had any complaints. He was a regular over on the old Bass List and always came across as a standup guy.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Ed - there are a few designs for the B200 that aren't Open Baffle, but none are particularly tiny

http://www.visaton.com/en/chassis_zubehoer/breitband/b200_6.html

There are also numerous DIY designs or low production commercial designs that attempt to reduce the overall baffle dimensions by augmentation with bass drivers (for example Visaton's own BGS40, or Eminence drivers by Hawthorne) I've heard one such, and while successful in regards to smaller baffle size and needing fine tuning on the implementation of the tweeter, there's the substantial additional cost of drivers, and complexity of crossovers.

No doubt there are endless permutations possible that could include small sealed or ported woofers and ribbon tweeters in the pursuit of that last little bit of extension on either end of the spectrum, but maintaining the seamless quality that a refined albeit imperfect wide range bandwidth driver such as the B200 gets exponentially costly.

If space was available, I'd be all over something like the little Korean prototype 6.5" driver in an OB, but in reality that's not practical, so it's just easier to put up with the limitations of a well executed smaller driver in a wife friendly cabinet, such as the Fonken, PAWO or Mileva. I've long since reconciled the fact that I'm *whipped in this regard, but the only room in the house that sounds good isn't mine to play with, so except for occasional testing, a level 3 Frugelhorn, A126 or any type OB are simply out of the question.

No doubt that's the impetus for the aesthetics and performance compromises that I'm willing to make in my own builds.

but I digress

The B200 in an OB do sound quite delightful, and smaller dimensions that at Dave's could probably still work very well. A friend has a set of the Hawthorne Audio Silver Iris 15" coax, and is quite happy with the performance after substantially cutting down the size of the baffle. He also has a pair of the B200 on a fairly small panel. When Bob gets back from a current out of country business trip ( Hawaii in July/August!) we can ask him what sizes he's using.

Concerning Andre Perault

It really bothered me that I couldn't remember what the company was that Andre is associated with. I've found that a decent night's sleep really helps clear "brain fog" and this instance was no exception. First, and I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe that Andre's last name may be spelled with two R's (Perrault). I finally remembered that Andre's name came up in a conversation I had with Dan Wiggins a few years back and I believe that Dan mentioned that Andre was with Technicolor Sound Services in Hollywood.

The old brain's pretty decrepit, but it's still functioning after a fashion.:xeye:

Best Regards,
TerryO

home (finally)...

well after the axle fiasco, there existed a ball joint fiasco :( .

Left beautiful Whalley yesterday at 7:30 am PST, arrived home 1:00 am MST.

Guess I didn't realise how ******* popular Timmy's is with travellers, had to wait 30 mins for a cup of coffee in Golden. No car troubles, no travelling companion troubles, and 44 mpg all the way.

now I can unpack, reorganize and have a reality check.

Thanks all.

Re: home (finally)...

Nanook said:
well after the axle fiasco, there existed a ball joint fiasco :( .

Left beautiful Whalley yesterday at 7:30 am PST, arrived home 1:00 am MST.

Guess I didn't realise how ******* popular Timmy's is with travellers, had to wait 30 mins for a cup of coffee in Golden. No car troubles, no travelling companion troubles, and 44 mpg all the way.

now I can unpack, reorganize and have a reality check.

Thanks all.

44mpg, with all that cargo? With that kind of mileage, it sounds like you certainly don't want to upgrade the car anytime soon, since you've repaired everything that can possibly go wrong :hot:

"Fridgin" (d=g) was blocked by forum nanny filter!

I'm not really crazy about their coffee, but the chicken salad wrap is quite tasty.

The Great Visaton Site

I am always amazed how good the Visaton site is. They provide many enclosure options for each driver and each design is carefully explained for the novice builder. Hats off to Visaton!

I am interested in several of the B200 designs shown there. Some would fit quite nicely here in the living room and even though they would not provide optimum performance, the drivers are good enough that I am sure they would provide great sound. I like the size of the Solo 50.

It seems that the single driver base reflex designs require substantial dampening and are less efficient than the multi driver options. Perhaps a chunk of Dflex behind the driver and some good quality stuffing will do.

Cheers,

Doug

car upgrades...

well not really. Had the car for 3 years...low buy in, and these repairs are the only ones. 400,000 km and still pulling like a typical Honda

germpod: Regarding smaller enclosures---not sure how many have spent time with the Fonkens, but to my way of thinking, an incredibly great speaker--just not to my brother's taste (but the little 15 litre ones with FE167E seem to be great with his Decware. And I modelled the 167s in the 15 litre box, with 2" diameter X 3" long port ending up with a tuning something like 72Hz. This seem correct?). Now I gotta find him a decent turntable or make him one, and an arm. And maybe a phono stage.

I lived with the Fonkens for about 5 weeks earlier this year, and I know I could easily live with them (sans sub of any sort) with the right amplification. It is amazing what these little guys can do. If space is at a premium (or not), or if WAF is a consideration, these must rank near the top. oh, ya, of course assuming that great sound is paramount.

Speaking of WAF and such (or SOAF), the beautifull little metronomes scored big with my lovely bride, and sounded excellent as well.

Chris/Dave: Please see www.affordableaudio.org for the "sidekick" clarrification.

It's tough being a left wing flyer in a right-winged world

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.