4th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2007

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chrisb said:
Terry, why not revisit the success you had with the RS 40-1197, and try fewer parts next time? :smash:

Some of the most musical sound at the festival was achieved with less than 10in^2 / 5 watts per channel. "Girly"? maybe, but some of us have simply accepted that. :angel:

Chris,
As you know, I'm certainly not against full-range speakers. I do feel that many of the better sounding drivers can benefit from "help" at one or the other end of the spectrum. I've got my hands full right now, but I've got an idea for an extended range, hi-eff design. The trick will be finding a bass driver that will match up well (and I can afford). Don't give up on me, I've never really left;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

TerryO said:

Chris,.......
The trick will be finding a bass driver that will match up well (and I can afford). Don't give up on me, I've never really left;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

isn't it a variation of Hoffman's Iron Law (call it Olson's Golden Rule) that you can have any two of the following:

1) great performance on paper (required of course to satisfy your "expert friends")
2) seamless real world musical integration with associated components
3) affordable price

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
TerryO said:

Chris,
As you know, I'm certainly not against full-range speakers. I do feel that many of the better sounding drivers can benefit from "help" at one or the other end of the spectrum. I've got my hands full right now, but I've got an idea for an extended range, hi-eff design. The trick will be finding a bass driver that will match up well (and I can afford). Don't give up on me, I've never really left;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

my fave link
http://www.lampizator.eu/SPEAKERS/Loudspeakers.html

and dito
http://www.lampizator.eu/SPEAKERS/PROJECTS/P19/P19 alnico open baffle.html

also

http://www.lampizator.eu/NIRVANA/nirvana.html

:clown:

I know being in a room helped them a lot, but Terry's speakers got my vote for best sound that I heard. It also does not hurt that the only music that I like the style of the whole time I was there was played while listening to them. I am more of a rock guy than Jazz and female vocals person.

Frugel horns were hurt by being outside and only have the corners that extend a few feet and a floor to help them, in my long narrow room I think they would sound awsome. I am planning on building a pair as funds allow.

As far as the ff125 goes, I did not like the highs very much and it distorted female vocals at times while the fe127 drivers had no problems with them at all at the same volume level. For my ears, the fe127 drivers were far superior in the frugel horns.

Cal Weldon said:
I think this was my most memorable listen. In all honesty, that little thing came close to sounding like a woofer. Not bad for a small midrange. Not bad at all.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1267928#post1267928

If you're pointing to the Mileva, this another deceptive little design - possibly expecting just a bit much at the bottom end from the FE127 - not so much a problem with FE167 with the same topology in the larger Demetri

After all my sniping at Terry, I guess it'd be contradictory to try a 207/FT17 combo (if the filter can be simplified to a single HP cap, does it still qualify as a "network") :scratch:

Cal Weldon said:

Ya, wasn't that something? I thought we were going to lose Chris for a while there, what with him right under that overgrown lever that might have, shall we say, slipped if we weren't careful.

Man that was tempting. ;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1267887#post1267887

It's my middle name that starts with the 10th letter, besides Terry was there to take up the slack.

oh, on second thought, that could be a problem too - (see above post)

chrisb said:

If you're pointing to the Mileva, this another deceptive little design - possibly expecting just a bit much at the bottom end from the FE127 - not so much a problem with FE167 with the same topology in the larger Demtri

After all my sniping at Terry, I guess it'd be contradictory to try a 207/FT17 combo (if the filter can be simplified to a single HP cap, does it still qualify as a "network") :scratch:

Chris,
I think that it would be contradictory, however everyone there is more or less guided by an inner light, rather than ulterior motives or external influences. I fully expect that, in your heart of hearts, you have a longing to explore the possible, without undue restraints. Creativity is not possible if one waits for permission or universal consensus, but you knew that already.
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

"Dave,

Thanks for the tremendious hospitality

Dick and I agree with your assessment 100%. The box was too small - hence the hump in the bass response. Also there is a 'spitty' character to the treble that Dick was not able to resolve in the available time. There is something amiss with the G2's that could not be resolved - Dick and I have used these exact tweeters in a few different systems and they did not exibit this hardness.

The 'stealth Sansuis' served their designed purpose extremely well, IMHO. They were made from materials on-hand, and were intended to generate curiousity and questions from the attendees.

We also wanted to show Terry that we were accomplishes 'Dumpster Diviors' too

Edward"

Edward is correct. These were a bit of a joke, one which Dave guessed pretty much instantly. These drivers are under eval by me in an open baffle configuration, but with an actively crossed 15" up to 200 Hz. I had a crossover in that environment which sounded pretty good (18" proper baffle), but in that box, it was a scratch build, just for this event. It was not right, but we thought we should bring them anyway. My wife's placemats stuffed in the ports should have been the first clue about the bass tuning....it was a disaster in that box. All in good fun.

Given the fast company at this event, I believe I will have another go at this next year, with another reclamation/stealth design. Who knows, maybe Terry will arrange for a campaign medal. Given this experience, I will probably start on it when I get back home. The water skiing is too good in Penticton to think about it tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the exceptional hospitality, and a fun time.

Dick

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chrisb said:
I guess it'd be contradictory to try a 207/FT17 combo (if the filter can be simplified to a single HP cap, does it still qualify as a "network")

That was the target set of drivers from the get-go... but XOs are deceptively tricky beast and we needed to have a good long time to fiddle with them. A single cap is certainly the fall-back position, but i have something a bit trickier up my sleeve (4 components). The values just need to juggled to make it right.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.