4th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2007

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nope not fixed and still not.

and Hemp 8 drivers: The Hemp 8s usually live in a "JE Labs" style OB which is modified slightly. I install a full width "shelf" (27" or so) and a rear brace on the back at floor level between the vertical uprights. Perry at Hemp has tried these too (see the Ventana on his DIY page) to good effect. They also sound excellent in a 20 litre BR tuned to 42 HZ. I'm gonna try the "Perkins" mod to BR enclosure (and on the 15 litre ones for my brother), to reduce the impedence rise at resonance. Remeber all that these are not suitable for an OB, Qts beinbg far to low...

T amps work good with the OBs as well as a Yamaha B2 amp, a Sansui DB8080, a Sansui Z9000, and the McCormach DNA 0.5 deLuxe.

The Decware works good with the FE167 mod/boxes (at least to me). Haven't listened to it much, car prob ()still). Tomorrow I shoot the MFr, and take a plane home if I can't get it resolved.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vix said:
is that Visaton B200 with a ribbon tweeter (in the aperiodic box?) ?

How did they sound?

The stealth Sansuis.

For the intended purpose they were OK. And they out-did whatever lived in the box in its previous incarnation.

They were only played with Terry's 4870 amp. They sounded hard on the top, and the B200 really wanted a larger box (so bass was limited and a bit humpy in the mid-bass). IMHO the B200s with phase plugs in the OBs were quite a bit better. If i had those, all stealness aside, the boxes would be burnt and the B200 put into a more appropriate box -- and i'd likely find a new home for the tweeter or at least push the XO up high enuff that it didn't ruin the seemless mid/lower treble of the modded B200.

When we heard the 1st pair of B200s came thru here, many of us speculated about adding a ribbon. Once phase plugs had been installed those thots vanished. I've now heard 2 sets of B200s with ribbons... Once of those was literally ruined by the tweeter -- it was easily disconnected and things got way better (B200s had PP). I do believe that the Stealth Sansuis could have sounded way better with better integration of tweeter (or toss it and add plugs)

dave

planet10 said:
If i had those, all stealness aside, the boxes would be burnt ...
:)

Thanks for info. Btw,mine are still in the boxes (MDF :smash: ), though they are larger (should be around 68 L). No tweeter, but they run via PLL correction circuit...
Still contemplating about OBs...with Eminence Beta 15s as bass support...but..WAF....

Vix

planet10 said:

The stealth Sansuis.

[snip] They sounded hard on the top, and the B200 really wanted a larger box (so bass was limited and a bit humpy in the mid-bass). IMHO the B200s with phase plugs in the OBs were quite a bit better. If i had those, all stealness aside, the boxes would be burnt and the B200 put into a more appropriate box -- and i'd likely find a new home for the tweeter or at least push the XO up high enuff that it didn't ruin the seemless mid/lower treble of the modded B200.

dave

Dave,

Thanks for the tremendious hospitality :)

Dick and I agree with your assessment 100%. The box was too small - hence the hump in the bass response. Also there is a 'spitty' character to the treble that Dick was not able to resolve in the available time. There is something amiss with the G2's that could not be resolved - Dick and I have used these exact tweeters in a few different systems and they did not exibit this hardness.

The 'stealth Sansuis' served their designed purpose extremely well, IMHO. They were made from materials on-hand, and were intended to generate curiousity and questions from the attendees.

We also wanted to show Terry that we were accomplishes 'Dumpster Diviors' too :D

Edward

"Well, they could have been slightly disadvantaged by the outdoor installation and relatively low power - I think the most they were driven with was 15W of mini-aleph class A"

The black amp pictured above is my gainclone amp, and it is 25watts and it was hooked up for a while. Only 10 watts different, but still a little more.

germpod said:
"Well, they could have been slightly disadvantaged by the outdoor installation and relatively low power - I think the most they were driven with was 15W of mini-aleph class A"

The black amp pictured above is my gainclone amp, and it is 25watts and it was hooked up for a while. Only 10 watts different, but still a little more.

fair enough - it's pretty obvious that way too many combinations of gear were plugged in during the event for everyone to hear them all.
For example, I didn't hear the larger Hemps at all, but did get extended opportunity to enjoy 2 different systems with the 4.5".

I think the consensus remains that in on this particular day, with the associated equipment, the Visatons outclassed the Hemps by a considerable margin. Having heard the former previously, that's not hard to believe.

EdwardWest said:

Dave,

Thanks for the tremendious hospitality :)

Dick and I agree with your assessment 100%. The box was too small - hence the hump in the bass response. Also there is a 'spitty' character to the treble that Dick was not able to resolve in the available time. There is something amiss with the G2's that could not be resolved - Dick and I have used these exact tweeters in a few different systems and they did not exibit this hardness.

The 'stealth Sansuis' served their designed purpose extremely well, IMHO. They were made from materials on-hand, and were intended to generate curiousity and questions from the attendees.

We also wanted to show Terry that we were accomplishes 'Dumpster Diviors' too :D

Edward

Ed,
I don't know how much time you had to spend on them prior to showing up, but I know that most projects around here get 98% of the work done in the last 2% of the time available. My big speakers need some refinement as well, I'll probably be messing with them as well in the days to come.

As to the proof that you two are accomplished "Dumpster Diviors", I can only say that against all expectations, both of you have shown yourselves to have mastered the subtle nuances of
the art.

I will be meeting with the Grand Council in the near future, and will present a petition on your behalf for acceptance into the Old and Accepted Order of Dumpsteur Diviors. I am prepared to defend, with might if need be, your claim for acceptance into the Order. Hopefully, in the near future, I will be bringing you good tidings.

Best Regards,
TerryO

leadbelly said:
So was I the *only* one who preferred the FF125 in the Frugal-Horn? Based on the people around me, I think I was....

Actually not entirely, my reaction to these going back to the initial break-in procedure several weeks back was that they did some things that I preferred to the FE126's, particularly in a real room.

In all the excitement over finally getting our hands on the Hemp 4.5", and the improvement derived from EnAbl treatment to FE127's, the 125 should not be overlooked.

It could be that with considered treatment and another enclosure design, this driver could be more than an also ran. I believe that some folks are quite pleased with the FF family in BIB or MLTL designs. I keep on threatening to try a pair of iBIBs with either the FE127 or FF125K, maybe by next year I'll actually get around to it!

For example, at least one event attendee is very happy with the performance of his Cain & Cain Abbeys after switching to the FF165K.

chrisb said:
It could be that with considered treatment and another enclosure design, this driver could be more than an also ran. I believe that some folks are quite pleased with the FF family in BIB or MLTL designs. I keep on threatening to try a pair of iBIBs with either the FE127 or FF125K, maybe by next year I'll actually get around to it!

The FF125K actually sims quite well in a ML-TQWT. It gets my vote for one of the prettiest Fostex drivers and would look lovely in a mini-Abbey clone.

Jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The stock FF125 did have some assets over the stock FE126. In comparison the FF125 is going to seem lacking in the top compared to the 126 because of the peaks the 126 has. The modded 126 creamed them both, and if the EnABLEd 127 is any indication the same amount of improvement can be had over the modded 126. (research is under way to determine the right mix of anti-resonance treatment, vrs edge reflection treatment -- thanx go to Jim Gale for providing me with the last raw material i needed to carry forward that experiment)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.