4th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2007

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: car upgrades...

Nanook said:
well not really. Had the car for 3 years...low buy in, and these repairs are the only ones. 400,000 km and still pulling like a typical Honda

she's hardly broken in then

germpod: Regarding smaller enclosures---not sure how many have spent time with the Fonkens, but to my way of thinking, an incredibly great speaker--just not to my brother's taste (but the little 15 litre ones with FE167E seem to be great with his Decware. And I modelled the 167s in the 15 litre box, with 2" diameter X 3" long port ending up with a tuning something like 72Hz. This seem correct?). Now I gotta find him a decent turntable or make him one, and an arm. And maybe a phono stage.

Regarding a less CNN cabinet for the 167's, I think Dave has played with that idea a bit and envisioned slightly larger than 15 litres with aperiodic loading, not unlike the Fonken. He could also likely find several candidates for the TT; and for the latter, I can highly recommend the Bottlehead Seduction - cheap like Red Soup as I heard someone utter at the 'fest, - it would be a shame to plug a cheap SS phono stage into the Zen amp.

I lived with the Fonkens for about 5 weeks earlier this year, and I know I could easily live with them (sans sub of any sort) with the right amplification. It is amazing what these little guys can do. If space is at a premium (or not), or if WAF is a consideration, these must rank near the top. oh, ya, of course assuming that great sound is paramount.

careful what you wish for

Speaking of WAF and such (or SOAF), the beautifull little metronomes scored big with my lovely bride, and sounded excellent as well.

agreed, kudo's again to Jim for a very tidy implementation and of course to Dave & Scottmoose for the design.

Chris/Dave: Please see www.affordableaudio.org for the "sidekick" clarification.

It's tough being a left wing flyer in a right-winged world

thanks, but now that it's official, I'll need a new T-shirt

I have a pair of Harverys that I am using right now and am very happy with them, I am just looking at other speakers at the moment because i have the bad bug of "maybe i am missing something". Maybe the music could be come more "alive" with bigger drivers type feeling.

Concerning WAF, as long as I put a finish on them, and she is involved with that part of the process I am just fine. I am a lucky guy in lots of ways.

My next build will likely be my last for at least a couple of years due to funds. I have been debating between adding a sub to my harveys or building BIBs with FF165 drivers in them, but then I hear those Visaton drivers and was pretty impressed so another set comes into the equation. It sounds like the Visaton set up would be quite a bit more than the others so that is likely going to not happen, I was just curious.

I am going to build a pair of frugel horns though since they impressed me also, and I already have the drivers for them so I can compare them to my harveys without too much cost.

Chip Amp Board Schematic

Hey guys. Kevin handed out a bunch of nice little circuit boards and I am very interested in populating the board. He mentioned that the schematic could be found at the National Semiconductor site. I checked there but cannot find it. Perhaps it would be best know what chip the board uses?

Any help in finding this (link) would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I actually liked the Frugal Horn's rather than the Fronken's. Kind of wish I had had the opportunity to hear the Creative Sound Solutions single drivers though.

Cheers,

Doug

Re: Chip Amp Board Schematic

EDDIEMUNSTER said:
Hey guys. Kevin handed out a bunch of nice little circuit boards and I am very interested in populating the board. He mentioned that the schematic could be found at the National Semiconductor site. I checked there but cannot find it. Perhaps it would be best know what chip the board uses?

Also, I actually liked the Frugal Horn's rather than the Fronken's. Kind of wish I had had the opportunity to hear the Creative Sound Solutions single drivers though.

Cheers,

Doug

Having heard quite a few permutations of both, I'd suggest that if you preferred the Horns to the Fonkens, that the CSS might not be your cup of tea at all. :cannotbe: :hot:

Regarding the chip amp board, if Kevin doesn't get the chance to reply first, I think Terry O can advise you there.

Re: Re: Chip Amp Board Schematic

chrisb said:

Having heard quite a few permutations of both, I'd suggest that if you preferred the Horns to the Fonkens, that the CSS might not be your cup of tea at all. :cannotbe: :hot:

Regarding the chip amp board, if Kevin doesn't get the chance to reply first, I think Terry O can advise you there.

The amp is just a National Semiconductor design utilizing their 4780 chip.

Here's some info from Kevin:

"The board should be the National Reference board. I did it a couple years ago.... could be a couple small differences that you will have to do some head-scratching on.

http://www3.national.com/ds/LM/LM4780.pdf

A good transformer would be the Avel Lindberg, Parts Express: 122-615"

Hope that helps....

Best Regards,
TerryO

Thanks Terry. I remember that you showed me the board but I could not remember the chip that was used.

That small two way that you designed and we heard at the DIY fest (unfinished in MDF). Are the parts still available? Do you have a schematic for the crossover? Any information would be appreciated. I remember you saying that the drivers were quite inexpensive.

Cheers,

Doug

EDDIEMUNSTER said:
Thanks Terry. I remember that you showed me the board but I could not remember the chip that was used.

That small two way that you designed and we heard at the DIY fest (unfinished in MDF). Are the parts still available? Do you have a schematic for the crossover? Any information would be appreciated. I remember you saying that the drivers were quite inexpensive.

Cheers,

Doug

Doug,

Unfortunately the drivers (Mid-woofers and tweeters) are no longer available, TTBOMK. The woofers, Vifa/JBL 4.5 inchers, were a PE close-out a couple of years ago. Too bad as they were quite good.

BTW: The MDF cabinets *ARE* finished! In bondo, of course.
:D

I rarely go further in finishing, as it can be expensive in terms of money and time. I have little of either and although I've slowed down over the years, I usually have several projects going at any given time. That's not counting the projects I'm imagineering in the idle moments.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I understand your issue with finishing. When I construct boxes I just want to hook up the drivers and listen. Finishing is tedious, dusty and stinky work. I finished my last few projects with black wood grained arborite that I go on sale for $30 per 4X8 sheet. The stuff is durable and strong and one can use the non toxic veneer glue. However, sometimes it chips out.

Thank You for the info (Thanks Chris as well).

Cheers,

Doug

upon reflection, an interesting though

Also too bad the torch wasn't put to better use on Sunday morning on the coup

Ya like perhaps lighting my car on fire and letting it burn (I'm well insured....), I'm sure I'd had the time to get all of our possessions out of the car before it was too late.

Hemps going into enclosures today, I'll report back regarding the mods. I ,too, hope to make the trip next year.

Had an interesting call from Mr. Pecker this am. Is 25" big enough for you Cal? now those would be real men's speakers :xeye:

So much to listen to, so little time.

Just a thought, but is there a community hall or such that could be rented for a few days? Not casa Dlugos, but maybe less stress to our hosts. I'd also be interested in a formalized approach and open, but directed discussions. That way we might be able to getr a few speakers (people not sound transducers) to attend? Just a thought.

Re: Chip Amp Board Schematic

EDDIEMUNSTER said:

Cheers,

Doug

I see Terry beat me to this. I've been pretty busy the last couple days. Got a good picture of Terry in a skirt too. Not a pretty sight....

The PCB is for the LM4780. The link above should work and you need to look at the reference PCB design. The only real difference is the layout, and the fact that I used lots of parallel caps for the output caps.

Also... looking at the Visitons and the Hemp 8". The Qtc on the D200s is up around 0.72 and the Hemps have a Qtc= 0.40 The Hemps are not a drop-in replacement on the same baffle. I'd like to hear them in the appropriate set-up as the 4" sounded pretty damn good. It and the squashed Fostex where my favorites.

Kevin Haskins said:

I see Terry beat me to this. I've been pretty busy the last couple days. Got a good picture of Terry in a skirt too. Not a pretty sight....

The PCB is for the LM4780. The link above should work and you need to look at the reference PCB design. The only real difference is the layout, and the fact that I used lots of parallel caps for the output caps.

Also... looking at the Visitons and the Hemp 8". The Qtc on the D200s is up around 0.72 and the Hemps have a Qtc= 0.40 The Hemps are not a drop-in replacement on the same baffle. I'd like to hear them in the appropriate set-up as the 4" sounded pretty damn good. It and the squashed Fostex where my favorites.

Not a pretty sight...?
Well, I've got some pictures of a well known audio personality really shaking it up in his skirt. But I'm not the type to stoop to idle gossip, so I'm not going to say another word :D

I mentioned it to a few people at the meet, but if you're going to build the amp using Kevin's board, be sure to solder in the caps by alternating sides as each pair are installed. It would probably be self-evident to most people, but once in awhile some idiot (like me :^) doesn't think and finds that they must undo the whole task, as they've painted themselves into a corner.

I liked the Squashtex drivers and the "plugged" B200's.

Best Regards,
TerryO

regarding the Hemp FR8c drivers:

another clarrification to those that haven't read the complete thread...

1) these drivers normally live in 20 litre boxes, tuned to 42 Hz, and are pretty much killer. Great in soundstaging, tonality, etc. No deep bass to speak of but in the 50ish Hz range.

2) The open baffles that are used in my home are modified "JE Labs" with full width top shelves, and full width back brace. These work wonderfully in here, and no I don't have tin ears.

If this seems like I'm a little defensive, I am. The FR8c driver is not intended fo OB use, I just tried it, and to me to good effect in a domestic situation. Everyone who has heard them in my house liked em (including a local DIYer that has Dick Oshler Basszillas driven by 2A3 amplification). Certainly in the large baffles downstairs outside , they did not reach their true potential. I should have not even brung them out raw and brought the BR boxes I use them in.

As I did not hear the Hemps myself, I cannot comment further.

Thanks Terry and Kevin. I haven't had a chance to take a detailed look at the schematic or parts list but may have a couple of questions. One that comes to mind now is do I make my own power supply complete with rectification or is there rectification on the board. Also, some of the parts including the B's don't seem to be on the parts list. I assume that these are caps?

Sorry about my limited knowledge of electronics. I can build stuff with a board, schematic and a parts list but if some information is left out I stumble a bit. Tube stuff seems easier to build. Just join the dots. I have built several solid state projects by Elliot Sound in Australia and a couple of DIY Paradise items with boards.

Would either of you (Terry or Kevin) mind me emailing you with a couple of other questions? I shouldn't have to many more.

Cheers,

Doug

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Altec Model Fives...

Nanook said:
when I get my comp programs repopulated I'll draw ya some plans for "the Ace"

This Ace? Looks like a twisted Mileva with a hat...

dave

Attachments

• ace-crop.gif
    ace-crop.gif
    38.8 KB · Views: 225

Kevin Haskins said:

It and the squashed Fostex where my favorites.

I'm as curious as Dave about this description- is this a reference to the EnAbled FE127s which were sacrificed to the spirit of audio smoke Saturday evening?

If not, you'll need to narrow it down a bit - there were probably a dozen pair of Fostex based systems played during the course of the event.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.