3886 Ebay kit Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's not a bad idea! My main concern is if the amp I am proposing is going to be enough for the design I have shown.

I also wonder if I couldn't recreat the sunflowers with one size larger drivers......6" woofers and 10" subs....or is that just a little on the silly side. I understand it's a proven design, I'm just trying to make something unique to myself.

Last edited:
While I wait for the 2 week shipment of the first half of my order I will try and teach myself how to use WinISD......could be a lost cause but, it's worth a shot!

When this is all said and done there will be a video of my results. Hopefully I can show what an average person with very little electrical knowledge can achieve with help from around the world

Attachments

• tower front.png
    tower front.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 691
  • tower rear.png
    tower rear.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 690
Last edited:
The subwoofer being used is a 12" svc 4ohm. 300w rms 600w peak with a FR Res. of 29-150 HZ

So am I wrong for wanting to use another kit bridged for a subwoofer or should I use a different, more powerful chip?
I see difficulties with these proposals.

Bridging a pair of amps demands very high current from the amplifiers.
Chipamps in general don't have high current capability.
Bridging chipamps into a 4ohm speaker exacerbates all that is poor in a chipamp.

Expect a BPA300 (3pr of chips) to struggle to power a 4ohm speaker from a 25+25Vac transformer. You may have to consider going to 4pairs or maybe 5pairs of chips for a single channel 4ohm bass speaker.

Last edited:
Great to see your progress!
I have built the exact same XY kit a few months ago.

I would suggest to replace the 1uF "Wima" input capacitors with 2.2-3.3uF. I was quite unhappy with low end response before the change.

Thanks! I'll try the capacitor swap tonight. I was also unhappy with the low end on the few test runs I have done. I'll run it again when I get the proper transformer in.;)

Would you happen to have any photos of the completed amp?

Last edited:
I only found a photo of the unfinished amp, it also still has the wima input caps. The 2.2uF radials were mounted on the right edge of the PCB.

6794474076_5762ef9226_b.jpg

I was concerned about heat sinking, but the heat sinks barely get warm.

Top of enclosure.
5625311368_ae08e003fc_b.jpg

Last edited:
Basically, yes.

It would not "put" 200va to one particular amp, it will just "limit" the total current drawn by all amps to 400va.

If it is an AnTek, they claim you can draw more then the stated VA from them. Maybe up to %20?
So your 400VA could actually handle closer to 480VA without issue.

I don't know that you would actually use two separate rectifiers, though you could have separate filter and decoupling units.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.