2SJ162/2SK1058 - fake or real?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are they fake or NOS Hitachi ?

Hi.I bought some pieces of 2sk1058 for ZCA project.Can anybody tell these are fake or real NOS Hitachi?I measured them with my precision weight scale and they are 6grammes( in NEW Renesas and NOS hitachi datasheet tells they are 5grammes approx)
If they are fake i will send them back to the seller but if they are NOS Hitachi i will be very happy.

Attachments

• 2014-06-26 17.19.23.jpg
    2014-06-26 17.19.23.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 429
Yes, the pictures posted by Jackinnj are the real ones. Hitachi only manufactured in one style and when Renasus took over, the packing was exactly the same only with different markings. There was no third partly manufacturer for the 2SK1058 and 2SJ162. However, Semelab did manufactured the TO3 packages 2SK135 and 2SJ50 for a short while under their own Magnatec brand.

Actually Hitachi hived off some of their semicon business to a new company along with Mitsubishi I think. That is called Renesas. It isn't called Hitachi anymore. We discussed this with the VP at the Hitachi seminar we had last year ! We were trying to see if we could get LatFets through Hitachi's office.
However Renesas has a separate office . They are pretty independent I think. I think we have to buy in bulk ! I have several devices so I didn't bother to check.
Note that Clarion ( car audio) was there ! They are part of Hitachi. Surprised me. They were displaying what they called digital speakers ( for a car ) with six windings in the speaker voice coil ! Yes there were several pairs of cables going to the speaker frame ! It wasn't a live demo and was very expensive ! Might see it in the market next year I guess. The person at the stall ( Japanese ) couldn't explain the innards of the unit in English. My Japanese isn't good enough to carry on a detailed techie discussion!
Here is a blurb on it.
http://www.clarion.com/jp/en/newstopics/index_2011/110310_01/index.html

Funny, there is no mention of Hitachi in that write up !

Last edited:
Hi.I bought some pieces of 2sk1058 for ZCA project.Can anybody tell these are fake or real NOS Hitachi?I measured them with my precision weight scale and they are 6grammes( in NEW Renesas and NOS hitachi datasheet tells they are 5grammes approx)
If they are fake i will send them back to the seller but if they are NOS Hitachi i will be very happy.

These certainly don't look like the Hitachi's I have. What could these REALLY be ? Relabled hexfets ? Maybe you just need to rig up a ckt to see if the GS voltage is around 1.2 volts when you set it for 100mA drain current.
Non Lat Fet's will be closer to 3.5 V.
Toshiba FET's are lower than 3.5 V but their package is much larger !

Definitely 100% fakes. The epoxy molding used by Hitachi then Renesas is completely different, matte all the way just like the ones posted by jakinnj.

The ones you have similar mold style as some Sanyo or Panasonic.

These certainly don't look like the Hitachi's I have. What could these REALLY be ? Relabled hexfets ? Maybe you just need to rig up a ckt to see if the GS voltage is around 1.2 volts when you set it for 100mA drain current.
Non Lat Fet's will be closer to 3.5 V.
Toshiba FET's are lower than 3.5 V but their package is much larger !

Now i measured by connecting GD together and apllied 10vdc and series resistor 100R.There is 0,45v measured on 2sk1058 .I also measured IRFP240 now and it is 3,5v measured.
So they are Genuine Hitachi

Being somewhat electrically similar and being genuine is an entirely different matter. I have been an avid MOSFET amp builder for the last two decades or so and have been using the Hitachi devices all these while. I'm not so sure whether Sanyo or Panasonic made any Lateral devices. The only other Japanese manufacture that built mosfets commonly used for Audio was Toshiba in another different packing! I am 100% sure your devices are fake! Anyway, the sonic signature of Hitachi devices is very different from others. I have tried substituting and comparing other manufacturer parts but they just sound different. There's a certain "magical " element in the sound texture that sets the Hitachis apart from the rest! Hence the crazy prices they command now. Probably the closest you can get are Renasas parts. Even the so called Semelab equivalent part under the BUZ series sounds very different from the Hitachis. However, I must add that musical preference is always very personal. Just my 2 cts.

As mentioned earlier Hitachi hived off the division making LatFet's etc. to a new company called Renesas . Hitachi was 55% partner and Mitsubishi semicon was 45% partner. So Renesas LatFet's are the same as the original Hitachi LatFet's.
However they again merged with NEC in 2010.

" On April 1st, 2010, NEC Electronics Corporation merged with Renesas Technology
Corporation, and Renesas Electronics Corporation and took over all the business of both companies.
Therefore, although the old company name remains in this document, it is a valid
Renesas Electronics document. We appreciate your understanding. "

Earlier a similar blurb was there about Hitachi and Renesas on the data sheet. That is before they merged with NEC.

Last edited:
Being somewhat electrically similar and being genuine is an entirely different matter. I have been an avid MOSFET amp builder for the last two decades or so and have been using the Hitachi devices all these while. I'm not so sure whether Sanyo or Panasonic made any Lateral devices. The only other Japanese manufacture that built mosfets commonly used for Audio was Toshiba in another different packing! I am 100% sure your devices are fake! Anyway, the sonic signature of Hitachi devices is very different from others. I have tried substituting and comparing other manufacturer parts but they just sound different. There's a certain "magical " element in the sound texture that sets the Hitachis apart from the rest! Hence the crazy prices they command now. Probably the closest you can get are Renasas parts. Even the so called Semelab equivalent part under the BUZ series sounds very different from the Hitachis. However, I must add that musical preference is always very personal. Just my 2 cts.
I totally agree with you about Hitachi sound is very good.But you can not say they are 100% fakes because your commands does not include any science.They are all subjective.

Actually hitachi_nut described the Mosfets spot on! I also bought a big batch of the last production run by Hitachi in an original Hitachi Packaging. Also as Ashok said, the manufacturing was taken over by Renasas which is partly owned by Hitachi, that's why the Hitachi and Renasas parts look exactly the same except for the markings. So there's no science involved but we were merely trying to point out to you that what you've got is not genuine. However, if you insist you've got the NOS parts, then its perfectly fine so long as you're happy with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.