• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

There are a couple of issues I found last night that I gotta sort out: The first one is that there is some buzz in the left channel and the CCS voltage on that side seems to be slowly creeping up, it's not the tube because I tried another NOS tube and it did the same thing, If I wrap that side in tin foil the buzz goes away (well quiets down, but still there). The other issue is the ceramic plate cap on one of the 3B28 tubes gets really hot, but the other is cold... Weird

Never mind, I figured it out....I had miswired two grounds. All is well now and the preamp sounds amazing! Oh, I also added a capacitor (.022uf) across the VR tube, which got rid of the small amount of hiss that I was hearing. I isolated the sockets from the chassis and there is not microphonics!! I am very happy with this build and I have already taken apart my other 26 preamps for parts!

Perhaps there is some other alternative 26 and 10Y tube for such a preamp.
It could be the Philips PT8. DHT very close to WE101F.
These are the data:
heater V 4
heater I 0.25 A
anode V 130
grid V -8
anode I 8 mA
transconductance 1.3 mA/V
plate R 5.5K
amplification factor 7 V/V
load resistance 6K

It could be fine with LL1660 / 10mA (ALT Q) or LL2745 (ALT R).

I'd like to know what you think.

Attachments

• 02156180247d98d055bf7f6291ac50c3.jpg
    02156180247d98d055bf7f6291ac50c3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 324
  • 7f44b03331683f6b7a023271ed12b192.jpg
    7f44b03331683f6b7a023271ed12b192.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 333
Thanks for posting, hadn't seen these before. Nickel plate?
I'd have a place for them, are they for sale?.
Nice looking tubes, electrically similar to STC 3A/141A
Load impedance closer to 12k at the lowest usable frequency, much better suited for inductive load than 26 or 01A.
HK

Last edited:
Looks like a good input tube.
I would use a nice 80% nickel plate loading choke, direct couple to the next stage and use the filament current to bias the tube with an unbypassed cathode resistor.
Stacked supplies with the driver biased by plate current through the combined DCR of the plate load of the input tube and some series resistance plate side which would also serve to decouple the capacities of the winding.
Maybe a CCS fed shunt capacitor, this would move all bias shift to the plate of the driver.
Addition to drive impedance would be Rk x 6 which is negligible, overall half that of 26 or 01A.
Nicest looking tube. Do you have a couple of couples, or just a couple?. :)

Last edited:
These are awesome.
Same voltage gain, same voltage across the tube and filament requirements.
3x the plate current and 1/3 the drive impedance.
Havent seen the transfer curves, but I suspect they're every bit as good.
PT8 input direct coupled to PT26 as a driver to _whatever.
Very similar to 12A and 71A respectively.

Last edited: