100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You tell me if these are any good.

The 1.0uF is a Chinese CBB 105K1439 450V MFTD (polyproylene metalized film) - measured with DATS V2 LCR meter as 0.984uF, 0.458ohm ESR, 2.82% DF, 35.4 Q, 1.616 deg Delta loss angle (all at 10kHz).

The 3.3uF is a Panasonic 335K 250E (polypropylene metalized film), measures in at 3.292uF, 0.394ohms ESR, 8.15% DF, 12.268 Q, 4.66 deg Delta loss angle.

I guess these are "MKP" then not MKT, my mistake.

You tell me if these are any good.

The 1.0uF is a Chinese CBB 105K1439 450V MFTD (polyproylene metalized film) - measured with DATS V2 LCR meter as 0.984uF, 0.458ohm ESR, 2.82% DF, 35.4 Q, 1.616 deg Delta loss angle (all at 10kHz).

The 3.3uF is a Panasonic 335K 250E (polypropylene metalized film), measures in at 3.292uF, 0.394ohms ESR, 8.15% DF, 12.268 Q, 4.66 deg Delta loss angle.

I guess these are "MKP" then not MKT, my mistake.

pl read, http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/testing_capacitors_e.html. i dont know if its just snake oil, common sense says put your best in beginning. i am no electronics engineer, nor do i have any test equipment to test caps!
in my builds i would avoid anything Chinese in signal path:D. call it superstition, but i am that.

Congratulations Mr. Mile,
You are numbah one:D! in solid state in terms of no. of views. It may be from a long long time, but I just noted , so I though to share for all the fans.

Attachments

• solid state.png
    solid state.png
    281.4 KB · Views: 1,005
I think this thread is still no. 2 behind John Curl Blowtorch. However, it is the number one thread where people actually build stuff all the time. Apex Audio has the top 4 out of 5 most viewed threads in SS Forum.

Yes, congratulations and thank you for all your contributions!

Yep, this is people's thread, where one gets addicted to amp building. I dont know about John Curl from pre-amp, in Solid State APEX rules,
Solid State - diyAudio

pl read, [Review] Audiophile Capacitors listening test on TNT-audio [English]. i dont know if its just snake oil, common sense says put your best in beginning. i am no electronics engineer, nor do i have any test equipment to test caps!
in my builds i would avoid anything Chinese in signal path:D. call it superstition, but i am that.

Just pick one good cap at the input. No need for so many caps, most of the capacitors has some sound character and other behaviour. When you use multiple caps they will act differently (especially at low signal voltage) WIMA has small footprint 4.7uF or 3.3uF 9
If you want electrolytic type try Sillmic max 10uF or Nichicon Gold. My favorite used to be BG NP (the red type)

Just pick one good cap at the input. No need for so many caps, most of the capacitors has some sound character and other behaviour. When you use multiple caps they will act differently (especially at low signal voltage) WIMA has small footprint 4.7uF or 3.3uF 9
If you want electrolytic type try Sillmic max 10uF or Nichicon Gold. My favorite used to be BG NP (the red type)

Yes sir, thats what i have been trying to convey all along...wima like i said has been a popular cap all over diya, especially in slewmaster and HB.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I would almost bet that one can't the difference with a Panasonic and CBB polypropylene caps when added up to 4.4uF, will be tough to tell apart from a single Wima 4.7uF Those have been recommended before so maybe I will get one. I don't like the fact the a single Wima costs almost as much as all the other parts and PCB for this amp minus the Hitachi's.

I would almost bet that one can't the difference with a Panasonic and CBB polypropylene caps when added up to 4.4uF, will be tough to tell apart from a single Wima 4.7uF Those have been recommended before so maybe I will get one. I don't like the fact the a single Wima costs almost as much as all the other parts and PCB for this amp minus the Hitachi's.

Then Dont go ahead!, If you think that you already achieved cost to performance ratio (varies with each person). May be its time to build something else!. Like Slewmaster or a HB, or something else.
{I plan to build a AX11 and then a HB (my own layout).} my (belief of) ultimate fidelity amps!

Last edited:
But the interesting experiment is to test to see if the FX8 can be modified to take the IRFP240/9240 with a Vbe multiplier temp compensation.

i would say, go ahead and try it with TO-126 as thermal comp (Apex FX-100 uses it)! you are almost in 'the league of extraordinary gentlemen' , the amp designers.

Last edited:
there's so many amps to choose from!!

for my next amp project (just coming from vssa. wonderful circuit!) i'm looking for a thick, warm sound, loads of 2h while still being plenty high end.

which apex amp do you think will fit the bill? fx8 seem like the favorite here but i think the pp input stage would rob me of that 2h goodness... :p

what does having 3 output stage devices do for the maximum power?

To clarify, TEF/3EF/Tripple-Emitter-Follower/Three-Emitter-Follower is 3 consecutive output stages, not 3 parallel output transistors.

It is not what it can do for maximum power, but may be, what it can do with high voltage/current requirement.

It is hard to make stable and it is a "unique" load for the VAS.

Latest AX11TEF

Can someone point me to where the latest (confirmed) PCB or sprint file design for the AX11TEF is? This looks interesting - what does having 3 output stage devices do for the maximum power?

I have spent quite a bit of time cataloging and indexing this thread. Threads are a horrible way to keep track of revisions, especially when there are a number of "products" (different amp designs) being discussed simultaneously, but AFAIK, this thread is the best place to find the information. That is quite sad.

That said, the latest AX11TEF designs are between 10 Mar 2016 and 17 Mar 2016. Prior to that, the best information was in Aug 2013.

Ben Franklin

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have spent quite a bit of time cataloging and indexing this thread. Threads are a horrible way to keep track of revisions, especially when there are a number of "products" (different amp designs) being discussed simultaneously, but AFAIK, this thread is the best place to find the information. That is quite sad.

That said, the latest AX11TEF designs are between 10 Mar 2016 and 17 Mar 2016. Prior to that, the best information was in Aug 2013.

Ben Franklin

Ben,
Thanks - if you have a catalog of the amps and locations in thread like an index that would be helpful if you can post the index and we can ask ApexAudio to either add it to his post 1 as an index or link to it from post 1.

Reactions: 1 user