100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

I got my A40 working. I had a bit of a struggle because when I printed out the toner files I forgot to uncheck the fit to page box so the scale was reduced. I had to fight to get all the drivers to fit next to each other on the heatsink and of course, everything is tight. However, it all fit on a 4"x6" board. Now for the good part. This amp has the prettiest square waves I've seen on any amp I've built. Not sure the reason but they are really, really sharp. I'll post some pictures when I get home from church. I've only had a short time to listen to it but so far it sounds lovely. I do have a little hum to sort out but that is probably just a wiring issue.

Blessings, Terry

Good news, is sound different compare to A33 ?
Regards

Last edited:
Hi Mr. Mile ,i don't want a simple triac protect,the only reason looking for triac protect is that i didn't like the relay contacts in signal path. I prefer some transistors and fuses blown in case of failure than a dirty contact in signal path.

Something like this protect from Elektor?

Attachments

• ultiamp_prot.jpeg
    ultiamp_prot.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,403
thimios
There is another way to protect the amplifier.

The idea is very simple, You can monitor DC at the output and voltage drop on the emiter resistor (to minitor the current) at the output transistor and make the protect circuit to swith off the amp, for example you swith off input LTP CCS's so all the stages will be off, including output transistors.
Simple and bullet proof + no relays in circuit !!!

Regards Peter

thimios
There is another way to protect the amplifier.

The idea is very simple, You can monitor DC at the output and voltage drop on the emiter resistor (to minitor the current) at the output transistor and make the protect circuit to swith off the amp, for example you swith off input LTP CCS's so all the stages will be off, including output transistors.
Simple and bullet proof + no relays in circuit !!!

Regards Peter

Swith off input LTP CCS's can not swith off broken output transistors and will not protect speaker from DC.
Regards

Swith off input LTP CCS's can not swith off broken output transistors and will not protect speaker from DC.
Regards

That is truth but what if we monitor DC at the output and voltage drop at emiter resistors (current in SOA range at the output transistors) ? They should not fail.
Would be not enogh ?
If not looks like a relay is the only good option.

thx

Here are some scope shots. I still have a ground hum. The input is creating a ground loop. I'm going to try lifting the input ground with a resistor and see if that helps.

Attachments

• A40 150khz.jpg
    A40 150khz.jpg
    889.1 KB · Views: 201
  • A40 100khz.jpg
    A40 100khz.jpg
    923.6 KB · Views: 211
  • A40 50khz.jpg
    A40 50khz.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 220
  • A40 20khz.jpg
    A40 20khz.jpg