100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

One thing I have been meaning to mention. I know there isn't a lot of space but having the part # on the silk screen would be a big benefit. It would make trying different values a lot easier. This is DIY after all. :D

The sound is quite good. Close to the DX Super A. Maybe not quite as open. I will try to hook up the TO-3 version along side this one so I can compare them. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Blessings, Terry

OK, you saw it here first.:D

AX-14 on left and FX-14 on right. Virtually no difference in sound. I think the TO-3 version clips a little more gracefully. These amps are pretty high gain. I can get them into clipping with just my CD player. Each amp's PSU is a 200VA 30-0-30vac transformer with 3 x 4700uf per rail. The rails are +-44vdc at rest and will drop to 41V driven loud. I'm not sure but they may benefit from a stiffer PSU. I drove them pretty hard into 4 ohm and they drove it OK. Maybe lower rails would be better for 4 ohms. There is quite a boost in power when switching from 8 to 4 ohm. I may try them on +-36V and also on +-25V rails just to see what happens. It's always to know the limits. I'll keep you updated.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• AX-14 and FX-14 shoot-out.jpg
    AX-14 and FX-14 shoot-out.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 1,428
Yes, but !
different lead out.
the BC5xx are exceptional at very low Vce.
LTP have high Vce and the sa/c can be swapped in with leg re-shaping and a tube of insulation.
Don't use them in mirrors.

Hi AndrewT,
why we can't use it for mirrors ?.........................

I think AndrewT does not recommend using BC5xx for mirrors ..............
My reply was in response to being asked "Can an alternative be swapped for BC5xx?"
I said don't use them for mirrors and the reason is poor performance at very low Vce.

Whereas the BC5xx has good performance at very low Vce compared to very many others.
That makes the BC5xx very suitable for mirrors.

Read Keantoken and get the message from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:
OK, you saw it here first.:D

AX-14 on left and FX-14 on right. Virtually no difference in sound. I think the TO-3 version clips a little more gracefully. These amps are pretty high gain. I can get them into clipping with just my CD player. Each amp's PSU is a 200VA 30-0-30vac transformer with 3 x 4700uf per rail. The rails are +-44vdc at rest and will drop to 41V driven loud. I'm not sure but they may benefit from a stiffer PSU. I drove them pretty hard into 4 ohm and they drove it OK. Maybe lower rails would be better for 4 ohms. There is quite a boost in power when switching from 8 to 4 ohm. I may try them on +-36V and also on +-25V rails just to see what happens. It's always to know the limits. I'll keep you updated.

Blessings, Terry

Nice work,
Regards

If you use high-voltage transistors in the current mirror you may as well not use a current mirror, since they become like resistors at low-Vce, IE <1kR.

The BC5xx and BC3x7 however work better here than anything else I know of.

By the time the current mirror sees more than a few volts most of the amp will be burnt, so using higher voltage transistors here is not important.

OK here we go, one more way. I build another couple boards using only the IPS and VAS. I'm driving a Slewmaster EF3 OPS. I just have it playing on the Baby Slewmaster right now so just running on +-50v rails. I swapped out the 2N5401 for KSA992A because I was out of them. I also swapped out the BC547/557 for BC 546C/547C for the same reason. I used MJE340/350 for the VAS. I've had it playing for about hour or two. Sounds very good. I hooked up the scope and got some screen shots of the waveforms. I'll try it through the 5 pair Slewmaster tomorrow with higher rails.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• clipping.jpg
    clipping.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 1,127
  • 1Khz Square wave.jpg
    1Khz Square wave.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 977
  • 10Khz Square wave.jpg
    10Khz Square wave.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 905
  • 20 Khz square wave.jpg
    20 Khz square wave.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 847
  • AX-14 Slewmaster playing.jpg
    AX-14 Slewmaster playing.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 410
Terry, what are those groovy looking input caps you used on the board with the MJ1500x?

He, he, I don't know. They were e-waste from something. Last year some time I was throwing out a bunch of stuff and decided to strip the boards of any useful looking items. Those caps have been laying in the bottom of drawer waiting for a place to go. They are .1uf 600V.

OK here we go, one more way. I build another couple boards using only the IPS and VAS. I'm driving a Slewmaster EF3 OPS. I just have it playing on the Baby Slewmaster right now so just running on +-50v rails. I swapped out the 2N5401 for KSA992A because I was out of them. I also swapped out the BC547/557 for BC 546C/547C for the same reason. I used MJE340/350 for the VAS. I've had it playing for about hour or two. Sounds very good. I hooked up the scope and got some screen shots of the waveforms. I'll try it through the 5 pair Slewmaster tomorrow with higher rails.

Blessings, Terry

IPS and VAS from AX14 can be run on +/-120V rails maximum

Blessings, Terry
Particularly nice looking 10k and 20k test signals.
What setting did you use for the RF filter?

Hi Juan,

I was just looking over my boards as I prepare to attempt building the NX-14 amp and I noticed that the diode arrangement on your boards differ slightly from the schematic. The original shows D$ & D5 running from the output/NFB to the rails. On your boards the run from Q12 and Q14 emitters. I don't know if that matters but I thought I would point it out. I am attaching a schematic showing how the diodes attach on your boards.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• APEX AX14-diode per Juan.jpg
    APEX AX14-diode per Juan.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 1,393