100W peak 4Ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks

Thanks Andy well i'll add another mode make the connetion between power and signal ground bigger to avoid problems there. True for the feedbackit needs to be taken after the emitter resistors. Well There's no wire jump on this circuit only one will do no harm. I'll do these little mods as i get my pc back waiting for a motherboard replacement to be delivered.

Further mods

I've been looking for transformers around well its a rare thing here. The only one i was able to get was a EI 25-0-25 5A. I'll upgrade the outputs to2 pairs TIP35C and TIP 36C. Think the transformer above is a little bit weak plus am planning two build 2 pairs of these amps each pair will be bridged to one 8ohm 10" woofer. At most i can afford two transformers one per amplifier pair. How bad is a 25-0-25 5A + 2X20,000 uF caps for the job for two amps? Is 5A enough for even one amp?

Thanks

25-0-25 @ 5A is 250VA.
That is sufficient for between 125W and 250W.
I would recommend upto 170W.
Your 25Vac transformer will give considerably more than +-30Vdc, more like +-34Vdc. This will get you to nearer that 80W into 4r0.
A bridged pair will get about 170Winto 8ohms, so your guess of one transformer for each pair is about right.

But, do you want bass? +-20mF into a pair of 4ohm amps will raise the low response by about two octaves (if you adopt the input filter philosophy I have been promoting) to around F-3db=8Hz and may sound a bit bass light.

Excellent!
The RMS power of a module with that supply will be ~80W/4Ohm, then the bridged amplifier will give ~160W/8Ohm-RMS.
Your 25-0-25/5A transformer is rated 250VA, that's just excellent for a 160W amplifier.
Supply capacitors (2*20mF) are enough too!
Using TIP35C/36C as output devices is a good idea.

Sorry Andy, don't know why forenamed you andrew got a colleague at work called andy too maybe it was my mind trying to differentiate the two. Well the transformes has this written on them 25-0-25 5A but 125VA might sound weaker now. How is that VA derived finally am getting lost with it isn't it from the 25V and 5A or something like that?

Hi andy well there is 230Vac written next to the primary windings and yes 230Vac is our ratings here. I've attached a pic with a DVD next to it maybe it can help give an idea of the actual size

Attachments

• transformer.jpg
    transformer.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 289
I agree that looks a bit small for 250VA EI.
I cannot see how they arrive at 5A. A dual secondary could parallel the windings to give 5A total but a centre tapped cannot achieve that.

However, if it is a half winding rating of 125VA per winding then it is a small looking 250VA transformer. Can you weigh it and measure the core width and thickness? That area determines the VA rating fairly accurately.

One transformer rated at 125VA can power between 60W and 125W.

those measurements are the transformer overall size.
you need to look at the inside of the bobbin and measure the core that passes through the bobbin.
2.5kg is heavy, it might still be 250VA.

Try to find the free download for designing an EI transformer.
Anybody with a link?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.