• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Shanti Dual LPS 5V/3A , 5V/1.5A

Hi, I seem to be running out of things to tweak. I use a USBridge Sig fed from Shanti and feed USB into SMSL M400 which makes me very happy. I have Quad 989 ESL's in steel frames with supertweeters and dual Subs fed from a Mini DSP plate amp. I am interested in comparing the Revolution DAC to the M400 as the leap in sound quality from my fully tricked Ian Canada DAC is a thing of wonder. I also have a notion to try feeding the DSP plate amp with a digital supply rather than the signal going from D/A/A/D/D/A. If I fit a Digione Sig to my USBridge could this work feeding both USB>DAC and Co-ax> DSP Amp ?

I only have the subs providing < 35 Hz but hey every little helps.

Keep up the excellent work..:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I seem to be running out of things to tweak. I use a USBridge Sig fed from Shanti and feed USB into SMSL M400 which makes me very happy. I have Quad 989 ESL's in steel frames with supertweeters and dual Subs fed from a Mini DSP plate amp. I am interested in comparing the Revolution DAC to the M400 as the leap in sound quality from my fully tricked Ian Canada DAC is a thing of wonder. I also have a notion to try feeding the DSP plate amp with a digital supply rather than the signal going from D/A/A/D/D/A.
If I fit a Digione Sig to my USBridge could this work feeding both USB>DAC and Co-ax> DSP Amp ?

I only have the subs providing < 35 Hz but hey every little helps.

Keep up the excellent work..:)

No that’s not going to work because you”re selling your US Bridge Sig to me :D

there's two choices not three. the thesycon driver is needed for dsd512 in windows. if you don't need dsd512 in windows, the xmos firmware id will have windows auto install a driver htat works up to dsd256, that's how I understand it anyway. also you can flash either xmos or thesycon firmware id anytime you want to switch using the firmware download on allo's page

Got it, thanks. I don't need any drivers.

Without syscon drivers DSD is limited to DoP. Getting that to work in Windows is tricky since any Windows software volume level change or any on-the-fly sample rate conversion by Windows will alter the DoP data to make it unplayable. It means Windows has to be perfectly configured not to mess with the audio stream. The usual solution for that has been the use of ASIO drivers and native DSD. That means The Syscon drivers should be used if available. They are usually also supported for linux an Mac, don't know what Allo licensed, but presume it is the usual most people get.

Without syscon drivers DSD is limited to DoP. Getting that to work in Windows is tricky since any Windows software volume level change or any on-the-fly sample rate conversion by Windows will alter the DoP data to make it unplayable. It means Windows has to be perfectly configured not to mess with the audio stream. The usual solution for that has been the use of ASIO drivers and native DSD. That means The Syscon drivers should be used if available. They are usually also supported for linux an Mac, don't know what Allo licensed, but presume it is the usual most people get.

On Xmos firmware we suport DSD 512 on Linux (RPI) and Mac
If you need DSD (up to 512) on Win you need Thysecon firmware with driver installed on your PC.

That's not just Windows. It applies to any OS. The question is how to access the volume control that's being offered on the device from the OS side. That's exactly why I brought the external volume control subject up. And the Windows USB Audio driver nightmare obviously still persists. That nightmare goes on for more then a decade by now if I'm not mistaken. That's embarrassing.

And btw. the Sabre DAC is not a DSD-native DAC. DSD-native gets streamed towards the DAC device. The DAC chip then converts the DSD data!

Today arrived the revolution dac, so far so good ;)
Now I want to connect the USB cable but both of them don't fit.
I think the connector in the revolution dac is not good, I make some pictures...

Regards,
Rudy

Attachments

• 20200713_121555_copy_1600x900.jpg
    20200713_121555_copy_1600x900.jpg
    569.8 KB · Views: 340
  • 20200713_121916_copy_1600x900.jpg
    20200713_121916_copy_1600x900.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 337
I finally got my cheap DC cable from amazon so I could try out the revolution dac.. so far it's great.. I do seem to prefer adding the h2 and h3 harmonic distortion at lvl 8 vs having those settings at 0 or 1.

I was able to set jriver to convert pcm to dsd 256 with dsd over pcm. but I couldn't figure out how to make dsd 512 work..

haven't tried OSF-Bypass mode yet.. because I'm using the volume settings.. .. maybe you should rename it NOS mode.. that's what most call it

is there a place to download the thesycon driver from? also will there be a way to update the firmware from windows or just linux?

here's a little video I made showing the menu settings of the rev dac.. the flickering is only in the video, in person you can't see flickering. audio quality is bad because of my crappy phone mic, not the dac

YouTube

Today arrived the revolution dac, so far so good ;)
Now I want to connect the USB cable but both of them don't fit.
I think the connector in the revolution dac is not good, I make some pictures...

Regards,
Rudy

Hi Rudy

it seems that it has the right cable and connector. Its possible that some glue has gotten inside since we use it to make sure the uUSB will not detach .
Try forcing it and if not we will exchange . Do no forget that today is our last day in office

I finally got my cheap DC cable from amazon so I could try out the revolution dac.. so far it's great.. I do seem to prefer adding the h2 and h3 harmonic distortion at lvl 8 vs having those settings at 0 or 1.

I was able to set jriver to convert pcm to dsd 256 with dsd over pcm. but I couldn't figure out how to make dsd 512 work..

haven't tried OSF-Bypass mode yet.. because I'm using the volume settings.. .. maybe you should rename it NOS mode.. that's what most call it

is there a place to download the thesycon driver from? also will there be a way to update the firmware from windows or just linux?

here's a little video I made showing the menu settings of the rev dac.. the flickering is only in the video, in person you can't see flickering. audio quality is bad because of my crappy phone mic, not the dac

YouTube

Manuals attached . If you have the XMOS firmware , use the Xmos app , download the Thysecon firmware and flash . Once its flashed add Win driver and you can play DSD 512 from Win

Attachments

• Allo_Revolutionfirmwareupdate-converted.pdf
    193.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Allo_revolution_Linux_upgrade.pdf
    170.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited: