Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Output transformers for DACs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 03:29 PM   #651
bisesik is online now bisesik  Kazakhstan
diyAudio Member

No, I just thought it would be useful for other Buffalo users to know the loading resistor value, to be at the same output level (say for 50k input impedanced next stage) like for Mercury, to make my transformer's output the same in terms of the output level. OK.

BTW, what the input sensetivity is chosen now in your AHB2?
Low-Gain, Mid-Gain, or High-Gain
Old Today, 03:35 PM   #652
stew1234 is offline stew1234  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the advantage of the jfet powered buffer over passive transformer output? Do you have a balanced version (would that require double the power input)?

I do like how I can eliminate transformers and related power supplies that were previously used to power my balanced output stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisesik View Post
Here is the version of PCB using jfet buffers. SE output ONLY.
Attachment 959101
Attachment 959102

Some tips:
1) To have quick access to both PCB sides (for jumpers re-settings, components resolderings, etc.) it is better to have possibility of transformers dismounting using the receptacles:
5391-0-15-15-07-27-10-0 Mill-Max | Mouser Europe
2) M3 spacers 4mm in height for proper gap between PCB components and transformer plate will be needed to place as well.
3) Better to use a matched pair of 2SK170V/2SJ74V (output impedance better, no offset) instead of using the trimmer between transistors Sources (for set zero output offset).
4) For better thermal/current simmetry stability it is better to tight this pair of transistors together using a copper foil and/or small radiator.
5) The PSU quality is VERY important. Based on my experience I highly recommend to use UCs or/and battery PSU for powering jfets.

All the corresponding files (CAD, gerbers) can be found here:
Attachment 959103
Old Today, 03:53 PM   #653
stew1234 is offline stew1234  United States
diyAudio Member

I think 1k on the output transformers is close to the Mercury output with the 9038-specific resistors (I don't have the value in front of me).

I'm using the lowest gain setting on AHB2 and get plenty of volume play using the 9038 volume control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisesik View Post
No, I just thought it would be useful for other Buffalo users to know the loading resistor value, to be at the same output level (say for 50k input impedanced next stage) like for Mercury, to make my transformer's output the same in terms of the output level. OK.

BTW, what the input sensetivity is chosen now in your AHB2?
Low-Gain, Mid-Gain, or High-Gain
  Reply to this post

Output transformers for DACsHide this!Advertise here!