• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Zion, a ready made Phono Stage by the Paradise team

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yen any update on how it sounds,

O.k. now you cornered me :) I went to Krefeld, arrived at 1500 and visited may friends and at 1900 I arrived at the room where I could listen to the Zion. The room, owned by Thomas Fast, contained a smorgasbord of pre-amps, record players, tone arms and cartridges. By the time we listened to a selection of those (including the Zion) it was 2030 and I needed to go for an diner appointment, the presumption was to take more listening time the next day, but at 2230 (at the dinner) I was asked to be the next day at 1100 in a city in Saurland, this prohibited al listening for the next day :(

So here I go, after listening to multiple record players, cartridges and pre-amps, I have to say that the Zion left an very positive impressing. It was presenting a very good sound-stage, well controlled base and low noise.

On the other hand, for a well qualified report I would have needed more time, and it was not there (this time). For now you have to do with Joachim's listening report.

Frans.

Not trying to be inflammatory, but often times, a description that highlights bass extension and dynamics also tends toward a flat or lifeless midrange. How would you rate the all important midrange? I know we are playing with words here but i also recognize you have very experienced ears.

I build two versions. The second version was even more clean and clear.
This stages both sound very lifely. They have certainly the potential to improve in many ways on the Paradise. There will be a shootout against a maxed out Paradise.
How the midrange sounds is of cause dependend on the cartridge.
I heard for example 3 versions of the Lyra Atlas on the first Zion.
The first Atlas was a bit slow. That can happen after long use and when dirt comes into the cartridge. I then got a replacement from Martina and that sounded extreley open and fast.
I then got my own cartridge back after cleaning and retuning. That one whould qualify go have an exceptional madrange,. It sounds full, warm, liquid and airy. I mean, that is the same acrtridge that i send. I think Mishima is an artist. They may not all be alike as robots but they all have a very distinct quality that i would not describe as better or worce. So it may not be the phono stage that makes the trouble in your system.

Last edited:
Both of my P-P builds are out there. One is owned by a friend that already had possitive impressions. He had an Fet Paradise before. That was the circuit that i designed before the current BJT Paradise. The experimental Zion complements his taste in music well. He likes dymanic HipHop, Soul, Jazz, Crossover and Electronica. It has lots of " sock ".
The most recent Zion, that is close to the last circuit we published is in the hands of Christian Bayer. He is the " second man " at Image magazine. He is a professional reviewer. No news from him so far.

The RAW PSU

Attachments

• 5W6A1936.jpg
    5W6A1936.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 525
  • 5W6A1938.jpg
    5W6A1938.jpg
    978.9 KB · Views: 507
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.