• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

Hi LC,

Very nice ,simple,easy to build design.I like it:D

The closed loop gain depend up on different feedback path for upper and lower half cycles.So these feed back resistors are very close in values.Better to use matched one or use 0.1% tolerence .Even 1% variation make 4% gain difference (in worst case)and become assymetrical in each half cycles.

Best regards

joshvi

The closed loop gain depend up on different feedback path for upper and lower half cycles.So these feed back resistors are very close in values.Better to use matched one or use 0.1% tolerence .Even 1% variation make 4% gain difference (in worst case)and become assymetrical in each half cycles.

You nailed it....;)

That s the main problem with separate FB return since 1% mismatch
in the two FB resistors can increase distorsion by 10dB.

You nailed it....;)

That s the main problem with separate FB return since 1% mismatch
in the two FB resistors can increase distorsion by 10dB.

That's why I measured all feedback resistors (also all other parts crucial for OLG, CLG) in my SSA, CSA, VSSA, to 4th decimal matching with my Fluke ... one of the reasons I bought Fluke in the first place. :yes:

Last edited:
That's why I measured all feedback resistors (also all other parts crucial for OLG, CLG) in my SSA, CSA, VSSA, to 4th decimal matching with my Fluke ... one of the reasons I bought Fluke in the first place. :yes:

Other parts than theses ones are not that critical as they will be compensated
by GNFB , the only other details is to have quasi matched currents running
through the two input transistors but this is also less critical than the said
resistors precision that should be matched in the 0.1% range , quite possible
even without a Fluke....;)

.....:hohoho:

Attachments

• VSSA PCB.jpg
    VSSA PCB.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 1,782
Hi Lazy Cat, thanks for sharing...
this is basic question, I hope you don't mind :)
It is very difficult to find matched high hfe input pairs, output pairs, or driver (if needed)?
Can I use matched pair(2SA/SC) but low hfe not more than 400, what is the problem that I will see then?

Hi John :wave:

Yes, if you didn't started with any previous SSA-s, it is convenient occasion now to start this simple topology with VSSA, probably the least demanding.

Well my BC input pair transistors have hFE=620, not so much higher than yours. Current gain is important mainly when load is connected. Load current has influence to all previous stages, since it loads them with current all the way back to the input signal. Load current influence is complex, meaning impedances of all stages reveals their character, mostly capacitive, causing phase shifts between signal voltages and currents. Since we have only three stages amplifier, gain of each device is very important to get serious output current capability, without getting into saturation of one stage, while other two would still have some reserve if properly driven. I suggest you to start with the input pair you have and if the load connected will cause too much stress (current based distortions), my advice would be to try to find higher hFE transistors. :yes:

Regards Andrej ;)

VSSA prototype is working, very well I could say. All DC and AC conditions stable, turn on without any swing, imediately zero DC on the output. Bias setting very linear, no jumps whatsoever. Without any compensation 10 Vpp 25 MHz oscillation, two 12 pF caps on VAS makes it completely stable. :cool:

Pics showing 38,4 Vpp, 1 Mhz sinus signal, tested at max 3 Mhz, still no sign of smallest attenuation. :D

The only problem I noticed is thermal bias PTC because of VSA BJT's located on the same heatsink as the outputs. Solution is to use reference adjustable zener for bias spreader or relocation of 2SA/SC to separate heatsinks. My wish is of course to have them on the main heatsink because of PCB-module compactness. Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Proto5.jpg
    Proto5.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 1,598
  • Proto6.jpg
    Proto6.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 1,328
  • Proto7.jpg
    Proto7.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Proto8.jpg
    Proto8.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 1,260
Last edited:
VSSA prototype is working, very well I could say. All DC and AC conditions stable, turn on without any swing, imediately zero DC on the output. Bias setting very linear, no jumps whatsoever. Without any compensation 10 Vpp 25 MHz oscillation, two 12 pF caps on VAS makes it completely stable. :cool:

Pics showing 38,4 Vpp, 1 Mhz sinus signal, tested at max 3 Mhz, still no sign of smallest attenuation. :D

The only problem I noticed is thermal bias PTC because of VSA BJT's located on the same heatsink as the outputs. Solution is to use reference adjustable zener for bias spreader or relocation of 2SA/SC to separate heatsinks. My wish is of course to have them on the main heatsink because of PCB-module compactness. Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

Q2 on heatsink. Q1 on top. But the gain is reduced 2.6 times

Attachments

• biascontrol.jpg
    biascontrol.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 664