Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 21st January 2020, 07:00 PM   #201
BrianDonegan is offline BrianDonegan  United States
diyAudio Member

Introducing Mercury - Achieving escape velocity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stew1234 View Post
To power the L/R channels in the Legato separately, I know you would omit J1-J4.
Correct.

Quote:
It looks like the 4 supplied resistors for the Mercury are to set gain.
Correct

Quote:
To confirm, if I want to power the L/R channels separately, vs. using one supply, I would simply wire from the left +/-/g terminal blocks to the right side and no changes are needed to the mercury board?
Also correct.

Quote:
Brian/Russ - have you noticed any audible difference using separate L/R supplies?
Every situation/listener is different, but I have not. But I have older ears. For te record, I use a single Placid HD BP supply.

Quote:
If I was to use two supplies, would there be any theoretical difference using one transformer with a higher VA and 4 x 15v secondaries vs. 2 transformers with dual secondaries?
Typically, when people want to use a full dual-mono configuration, this goes all the way back to individual transformers. The idea is that one channel would have no impact on the other, so full separation. We allow for that, but I personally don't do it. To each his own.
Old 21st January 2020, 07:02 PM   #202
BrianDonegan is offline BrianDonegan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas-1 View Post
I am building +/- 15volt power supply for the Twistedpear Mercury IV. Can anyone please how much current is required for the Mercury IV.
Depending on the DAC output level, and gain used, it is safe to plan for 500-600mA per rail (+/-) to allow for ample headroom.
Old 21st January 2020, 08:54 PM   #203
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

There is also the "pseudo dual mono" approach to powering the Mercury. I did it this way:

Single tranny, two secondaries (100 VA in my case, but 50 would probably be enough), then I rectified the two secondaries, and sent one to two, biggish, 4 pole caps. Each cap output feeds a single regulator for two - rails and two + rails. The four pole caps provide a fair degree of isolation, not the same as having two trannies, but close, and easier to implement.

Honestly i cannot say I have ever heard a benefit of dual mono supplies vs. either "pseudo dual mono" or true dual mono as long as the power supply has low output impedance. Theoretically sound staging and perhaps dynamics would be better with dual mono, but I am not so sure it matters much even in the context of a very high performance system.
Old 21st January 2020, 10:28 PM   #204
Malefoda is offline Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas-1 View Post
I am building +/- 15volt power supply for the Twistedpear Mercury IV. Can anyone please how much current is required for the Mercury IV.
Old 10th February 2020, 11:54 AM   #205
minionas is offline minionas  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Any real gains for single DAC board (from one with two separate primary windinds already for +-15V) in sound going for two bipolar supplies for Mercury or its a "myth/possible minor change" as mentioned above? Thanks.

Last edited by minionas; 10th February 2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10th February 2020, 11:02 PM   #206
stew1234 is offline stew1234  United States
diyAudio Member

Brian, per the below, if you're using a Placid BP you're saying the supply should be set to deliver at 600ma per rail? How much should it be shunting?

If going dual mono, you would then set each rail of the power supply to deliver 300ma (in which case you would be delivering 300ma to L+, 300ma to L- and same for R+ and R-)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
Depending on the DAC output level, and gain used, it is safe to plan for 500-600mA per rail (+/-) to allow for ample headroom.
Separately, if you wanted to try changing the 330uf caps on the Mercury, what are the required specs for replacement caps? Many of the oil/film caps have much lower uf so I'm not sure how far you can stray from the specs of the provided caps.

Thanks.

Last edited by stew1234; 10th February 2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11th February 2020, 12:38 AM   #207
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
It's always something!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
I will divulge there schematic over time. Not yet.

Introducing Mercury - Achieving escape velocity.Hide this!Advertise here!