• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

Firmware...

What firmware are you using in the Amanero and what is your USB source?

I use Sonore Renderers (linux based) for USB output to the Amanero, and the best firmware for DSD is 2006be 11.

With that approach and the Cronus with a 45.1584 XO, DSD 256 (native, no DoP) plays perfectly.

There appears to have been a problem with Amanero's firmware server last night and with help from someone there I got it flashed. I haven't had any better luck with DSD but I want to say the firmware update improved the sound a bit (maybe a bit more full and less harsh but hard to tell).

I tried 2006be 11 and then DSD512x48x44, which was recommended by Amanero. I get DSD playing in HQPlayer up to DSD 512 but can't get the Buffalo to lock. I'll dig through some other forums to see if anyone has made changes to any Amanero settings. I'm not sure if I can try changing any Cronus settings.

I own Buffalo-IIIsePro38, plan to buy

Amanero-Hermes-Cronus Combo - 45.1584/49.152MHz Clocks
or
Amanero-Hermes-Cronus Combo - 22.5792/24.576MHz Clocks

not sure which one to buy ?

thanks

It depends on the program material you will be listening to. If you want to be able to play >96kHz, you will want the faster clocks (4x). There is little to no downside to using the 4x clocks.

Just to keep RPi lovers posted, I just tested the Hermes-RPi card today.

Tried it with a patched Libreelec distribution.
Perfect on all sample rates
44.1 - 48 - 88.2 - 96 - 176.8 - 192 - 352.8 - 384 are all ok.
Gapless between tracks having the same sample rate.

I love it...

Well, it's time to patch the official kernel...
It may take a week or two before submiting to github.
(Remember, Cronus - it's a matter of time)

Good job Russ & Brian!

I'm happy :p

(About the picture, yes, cronus should have been under the hermes. But I already had soldered it that way...)

Has your patch made it into the kernel?

I am really looking forward to getting one of these:)

Hey y'all! I've just received and build my Amanero / Hermes / Cronus combo with 4x clocks. I want it to replace my current WaveIO with this setup, however I am getting no sound from the Buffalo III SE. I have tried different jumper settings but I'm not sure which I should use. I currently have J1:2, MCK+ and no jumper on MCK_SEL. What should I use?

The output of the Cronus (DCK D1 D2) is fed into a Teleporter which goes to another Teleporter connected to the DAC. This works well with the WaveIO. My scope shows a clear signal on the Cronus output when I play music through the Amanero. Amanero is powered by USB, Cronus / Hermes is powered by a Placid HD, the Teleporter by another Placid HD.

The sending Teleporter is a new version with the shield, I put a jumper on J1 to make use of it with the CAT6 cable I use. I believe the receiving end is still the old Teleporter without shield, does that matter? DIP switches are off for the sending one, on for the receiving Teleporter.

Are there any other settings that need changing? Should I change something on the Buffalo compared to WaveIO? I use the non-isolated output on the WaveIO to feed the Teleporter.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hermes-RPi & ROPIEE question

Hi,
can anyone say if the Miero mod/update will work with ROPIEE,

which is what I run on the Rpie which outputs to an iancanada

FIFOPi then into the SABRE III Pro 9038.

Is his mod required to see the Hermes?

If not how should I proceed?
I've ordered the HERMES-RPie board from TP.

ICHI

Last edited: