Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Workshop Audio Project - low power intro to playing with tubes
Workshop Audio Project - low power intro to playing with tubes
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2020, 09:31 AM   #41
madmarcus is offline madmarcus  United States
diyAudio Member

I was going to let this thread die (not the project - I'm waiting for many Covid delayed parts) but I've run into an interesting dilemma. Early on there was a comment that it is unclear if the triodes from the 12AC10 would provide enough gain at on 96V B+. I put that on the back burner for a while but I've now gone back to looking at it.

So now I'm looking at gain stages using different tubes and I keep coming up with options with too much gain! Given the curves offered by Mona I need to keep the signal to roughly 8Vp-p. Assuming even slightly less than 1Vp-p in from Bluetooth I keep designing gain stages that give me 15Vp-p output from one triode. Not the ones from the 12AC10 mind you but from a couple of the Soviet triodes like the 6N16P.
Old 10th December 2020, 11:42 AM   #42
Ketje is offline Ketje  Belgium
diyAudio Member

With a ECC82/12AU7 LTP you get a gain of ~5x.
If that is still to much, apply some NFB.
Mona
Attached Images
File Type: png PhSplt.png (15.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 10th December 2020, 11:56 AM   #43
madmarcus is offline madmarcus  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you again. I appreciate your numbers but, as with the power output from the 12CA5, I'm happy to sit down with the data sheets and web sites and work through the design.

Figuring out the gain for a LTP is one of the things on my list. So right now I've simply been looking at single gain stages and knowing that if I add a LTP after if I will get at least a little more.
Old 15th December 2020, 07:15 PM   #44
OldHector is offline OldHector  Sweden
diyAudio Member

You are a teacher? Hope your pupils are more receptive!
  Reply to this post

Workshop Audio Project - low power intro to playing with tubesHide this!Advertise here!