• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

riaa amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
waltube,

High frequencies
Normally, the high frequency electrical LC resonance frequency is below the tip/vinyl resonance frequency, but they do definitely work together to give the overall high frequency response curve.

Low frequencies
The mechanical resonance curve is normally a function of the cantilever rubber dampening, and that dampening affects the Q.
I am not sure what you meant by shape.
The shape is similar to as if it was a low frequency parallel LC electrical resonance.

Low freq
If you move one cart. from one tone arm to another the resonance change due the coupling with the arm itself and his equiv. mass.
In some cases this resonance is too close the audio frequencies
And the shape of this resonance curve is strictly related with the cartridge and tone arm specs.
In some cases the tonearm have a additional damper made by silicone oil (I don't know the right definition) .

High freq.
I confirm as I wrote

Walter

It is as I said before:
System, System, System

Cartridge, Tone Arm, Turntable, Cables, Preamp, Cables, Amp, Cables, Loudspeakers, Room, and not to be forgotten, Listeners Ears.

Some good cartridge manufacturers used to recommend a range of tone arm effective mass.

A Ford Motor does not work well with a Chevy transmission.
Given enough money, time, and an excellent machine shop, you can have them working together, but why do that?

Nuff Said?

PRR,

Most things can be adapted to work with something else that was not intended to be used together that way.
How much trouble do you want to go to to adapt two items that do not fit or work together?

This original thread discussion was about the frequency response accuracy of an RIAA preamp. It evolved there to the various parts of a Record playback System.
Key word System.

Cartridge interaction with the rest of the system was a subject discussed.
waltube discussed the cartridge versus the tonearm issue.

Again, just like auto parts, they can be adapted to work even though they were not intended to be working that way.
Just an analogy, sorry, that escaped you.

If you have a cartridge that has a low compliance in a low mass tone arm, it may resonate at 32 Hz, pedal C on a pipe organ.
So, adapt the tone arm: add mass at the cartridge end, and add 9 times more mass at the counterweight end.
Now the resonance is at 10 Hz.

If you have a cartridge that has high compliance and a high mass tone arm, the resonance may be at 3 Hz, the warp frequency. Then just remove lots of mass from the cartridge body, and from the tone arm headshell, and than remove lots of mass from the counterweight.
Now the resonance is at 10 Hz.

Another analogy:
You can use a 1959 Nikkor 50mm f2 lens on any removable lens mirrorless camera.
All it takes is an adapter. I suggest purchasing an adapter that is already made, your time to do it yourself is money.

As to some others on this thread, frequency response and phase response vs freq. of the RIAA preamp was paramount above all else of a record playback system.
In fact, most hobby and commercial production phono preamp's frequency response and phase response is the "inner layer of an onion".
Where the onion is the sum total of the many problems of a record playback system.
Start by taking the outer layers off the onion first.

I am just saying . . .

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.