• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Do tubes actually sound like anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see Joe feeding us crap. He has said nothing inconsistent with what i know about all of this. He has done some interesting speculation, and he has been clear that much of what he has said is a thesis.

I have seen a lot of crap thrown his way, but i see little to practically support the arguments made against what Joe has to say.
Do you really not get it, or are you just "speculating" too?

In another parallel universe and audio paradigm where current amplifiers are every ones run of the mill gear while voltage amplifiers are as rare as CA in our world we will find yet another joedoespindoctor quantum entanglement peddling pseudo scientific manure how VA is superior to CA because the voltage signal measured looks, aheem... "distorted" with respect to the current signal including some other "unknown mysterious" artifacts proudly "discovered" by the omnipotence of audio himself, welcome to the university of joedoepedia.

ps. btw this thread, or at least part of it, should be moved to the lounge, there is nothing particularly specific about tubes since a whole pile of posts and as such it's in the wrong sub-forum, create a new thread over at the lounge called for instance "Joe's back EMF thread" so he can have his own sandbox.

hi David McBean - -thanks for the reply - FWIW used Rg=275 as that was specified as Zout for an amplifier in this thread.

With such high source Z I assume one has to be extra careful in their speaker designs.

The stuffing in a MLTL for Eminence's B102 suppresses the first impedance peak below tuning but the second peak looks to be a problem.

I don't worry about all the numbers/equations when hornresp has swept those and other cares away :p

Planet 10 - do you observe such peaky behavior in your vented designs when driven CC ? (CC drive should be a good tool in cases where it works to advantage)

Jeff Medwin's SE KT88 Loftin-White amp sans feedback has gotten good remarks for sound quality (Zout probably not really CC)

78dx2yG.png

IM8vcTD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.