• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Russia equivalent of 12AU7

It's the closest according to Google. The curves and current ratings look close.

Certainly much closer than 6DJ8...

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-11-16 08-11-08.png
    Screenshot from 2021-11-16 08-11-08.png
    266.9 KB · Views: 176
I couldn't say a Russian tube close to 12AU7 (is this the one more alike ECC81 OR 82?)

But I am lead to believe that the 6N5P is variable mu, and maybe not the best for audio.

I can't speak from experience though, my 6N5P are still packed up and unused. Too many tubes not enough time, it seems.

It's a little like asking which Subminiature tube is close to 12AX7.
I could say 6N17B, but I could also say 6N21B. In reality they are all their own and not all that similar.

Or asking which Soviet tube is like a 6021 Subminiature. I could say 6N16B (they have quite a following), but I haven't compared.
6021 does not live up to its reputation, that's all I can say.

Last edited:
I notice that the 6N2P has somewhat higher gm than the 12AX7. Are there any other advantages to the Russian tube (e.g. lower noise or microphonics, better low voltage operation etc.)?

Different interelectrode capacitances, for sure.

12AX7
Cga = 1.7pF
Cgk = 1.6pF

6N2P
Cga = 0.7pF
Cgk = 2.25pF

Ip at Vp = 180V, Vg = -1.5V
12AX7 - 0.85mA
6N2P - 0.95mA

Not that different...

BTW:> when I was an air cadet in the 1970s I was told by RAF officers the then soviet union persisted in the use of vacuum tube tech, Not because they were backward in any way but because of comparitive immunity to EMP. v silicon chip. Wonder if that was true???
Stumbled upon your post from last year whilst researching info on 12AU7. What you were asking about the vacuum tube-based equipment used by the then USSR is very much true. At that time I was SIGINT operator in the army of a former Warsaw Pact country (Bulgaria) spying on the West (lol). Although there was already very good quality solid state-based Soviet military equipment in use we were instructed to revert to the tube-based equipment in an event of adversity. Thank God it never got to that. Some years later, as a club radio ham operator in civil life (LZ1KRA) the military often donated obsolete tube gear of all kinds. I will never forget the very high quality this stuff was, the parts were manna from heaven for all sorts of ham gear. The good/bad old days (depending on which side of the fence you were) :)