• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New Mullard 5-20 (4-30)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think it will take exactly the same amount of time to make the other one.
Who will REALLY notice the differance in behaviour without an oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, distortion meter and a seismograph? I don't think I will and the symetrical appearance wil be more pleasing to me. ;-)

you built an awesome amplifier! and your skills are great, and I learned a lot from your pictures.

I just wanted to say 'before you build' that by using a smaller output transformer you make the transformer contribute more to the distortion or character of the amp. Does it sounds better now than your other built with bigger outputs?

Mirrored amps are either a waste of time, or worse. This because you cannot buy mirrored active devices so the stray capacitances and lead inductance will not be matched - unlike a pair of identical amps.

Yes - and no.

I faced the same situation when once, not for conscious mirrorring (how many 'r's??), but building a stereo amplifier on the same chassis, it turned out to be a non-problem for audio.

Yes, lead inductances, and rather more severe capacitances, will be different. (I laced leads so there was enough capacitance anyway to make me apprehensive). But I found that between the two layouts the open loop frequency response only started to differ quite above the audio spectrum - where any discrepancies (e.g. in NFB stability) could be taken care of by slightly different compensation measures within the loop.

Yes - this will also certainly depend on the design. Some amplifiers are sadly so close to instability with NFB that a capacitance change because of wiring could make waves (!!), but I would think that, unless the layout was woefully poor, there need not be a problem (or else I would certainly have had a few).

Regarding some test instruments, one respectful word of caution though, JDeV:

One actually does need some of the instruments you mentioned for peace of mind in an amplifier build .... not because of audible differences so much as avoidance of a burnt-out tube or component because of inaudible spurious or even continuous instability. Any amplifier using NFB (and even some without it) may have undesirable performance somewhere, and I would certainly spend a sleepless night not having checked with at least a signal generator and oscilloscope that all was kosher. I have encountered enough reason in my life to make such an examination mandatory.

As someone who built Mullard 5-20's in about 1966 and fairly quickly changed them to Williamsons may I suggest you consider this option. Several of my hi-fi acquaintances had been down this road and made the conversion, experimenting with Mull-Will and Will-Mull combinations. We concluded triode operation sounded significantly better and certainly using the EF86 as a pentode without feedback (Radford) sounded distinctly upper middly.

you built an awesome amplifier! and your skills are great, and I learned a lot from your pictures.

I just wanted to say 'before you build' that by using a smaller output transformer you make the transformer contribute more to the distortion or character of the amp. Does it sounds better now than your other built with bigger outputs?

I actually ended up using the same OPT and circuit, did not downscale it at all. Cost wise it was not much more. I can not say for sure how they compare to my old amps, did not hear the old ones for more then 2 years, but I enjoy the sound from these just as much. ;)

JDev said:
Who will REALLY notice the differance in behaviour without an oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, distortion meter and a seismograph?
You will notice the difference if one amp oscillates and the other does not. HF stability of an amplifier with significant negative feedback is affected by stray capacitance. Mirroring ensures that this will be different for the two channels.

As someone who built Mullard 5-20's in about 1966 and fairly quickly changed them to Williamsons may I suggest you consider this option. Several of my hi-fi acquaintances had been down this road and made the conversion, experimenting with Mull-Will and Will-Mull combinations. We concluded triode operation sounded significantly better and certainly using the EF86 as a pentode without feedback (Radford) sounded distinctly upper middly.

I comment carefully regarding different designs because most have their staunch supporters. But there should not really be an audible difference between the Williamson and Mullard topologies, in that either comfortably has low enough distortion to make it a 'wire with gain'. Whatever distortion there remains come largely from the output stage, not the pre-stages.

Williamson has gained an undeservedly bad reputation because of some instability problems at l.f., but that is not common to the topology, only because of the relatively low value of electrolytic filter capacitors and component tolerances practical in its day. The 5-20 topology was first used by Leak as far as I am aware, thereafter by several other designers. (There are only so many basic ways one can really design a tube amplifier ....)

The Mullard design is verging on instability at LF too. Their frequency response plot shows a small peak at low frequency.

Oh!
Can't remember; will have another look at the original booklet. As said, much of this has to do with critical component values; with tolerances of +/- 10% originally one wonders if the original test models perhaps had values all to one side ..... (I myself must keep that little datail in mind.)

Sorry, JDeV, here I go off on a tangent. Must also congratulate you on the build!

The one I built is actually an already modified Mullard 5-20, not the original, see the attached documents. ;)

Attachments

• amplifier_30wpp.pdf
    277.7 KB · Views: 268
  • appendix_cb.pdf
    834.4 KB · Views: 137
Finished the 2nd mono recently. Here they are, both working equally well.
Only problem I experienced was because off the high supply voltage in my area (245V) I had to use 47ohm resistors in serie with the supply. I ordered 2x 100W metal clad resistors from eBay (China), 1 was open circuit. :(

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 447
Finished the 2nd mono recently. Here they are, both working equally well.
Only problem I experienced was because off the high supply voltage in my area (245V) I had to use 47ohm resistors in serie with the supply. I ordered 2x 100W metal clad resistors from eBay (China), 1 was open circuit. :(

There as well??

Here (Pretoria, RSA) we also have that problem, as you probably know. Locally wound transformers (imports are expensive what with the postage) are mostly done with mains taps up to 250V. I often have to use series primary resistors of some 33 - 47 ohms for overseas' products as well, but found that a well ventilated 10W suffices.

Fine build there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.