About the difference between a speaker and a musical instrument

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just lost all respect for that company. Not one measurement and then this:

ACCESSORY 2: BRODMANN LOUDSPEAKER CABLES
Brodmann loudspeaker cables were developed in nuclear physics laboratories in the USA.
They significantly augment the effects of the Acoustic Active Principle. These cables
feature a number of exceptional qualities and are also used by NASA.

And then they go on with more ridiculous cable snake oil.

Last edited:
I bet those Steinway speakers sound 'grand'! :)

Attachments

• Steinway Grand Piano.jpg
    Steinway Grand Piano.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 86
Hi i would like to thank you All very much for the very valuable advice. Your statements confirm my feelings.
Speaking of enclosure design and construction i think that looking at the very best products in the subwoofer market will tell a lot indeed. I know i am trivial now .. but the range below 150Hz is the more critical for enclosure vibrations control and damping
Personally i would segregate the woofer in a separate cabinet very well designed and build. I do not like tower speakers for this. I prefer a subs + satellites solution with the satellites mechanically decoupled from the woofer cabinet. Like Wilson Audio for instance. The bass cabinet is a great technical challenge for me.

Aren´t you exaggerating ... well .... a little?
If it only were SO easy to polish a turd?

Hi ! yes of course :eek: i am slightly bipolar :(
But really is in the bass the speakers differentiate more. These days with smaller rooms people are more used to mini speakers that have nothing below 100 Hz at certain spl ... they do not know what a real bass is.
I did not know before listening to a big pair of JBLs monitors.
One very popular speaker is the Kef ls50 ... they have no bass to speak of.
Usually they are tested with voices ... just play a pipe organ track on them and listen for the distortion.
A friend of mine has a pair of speakers with a 5" woofer ... he put on a track full of bass and higher spl than normal and the woofers bottomed out ... he had an earth attack ... they are quite expensive but repairable anyway
He had to replace both woofers.

Concrete is good too!

i think that there is nothing more dead sonically than lead ... just try hammering a lead slab ... just a very deaf sound
But lead is not stiff ... so a sandwich of metal and lead in between could be the best
There is an easy way to check for cabinet resonance .. using one of this placed on the speaker cabinet

51Wrgyii1-L._AC_SY450_.jpg

the stronger the resonance the stronger the sound from the mechanism ...
a musical instrument will amplify the sound of the mechanism ... a speaker should not amplify it at all
So musical instrument and a speaker must have completely different properties

Last edited:
hold the phone the OP needs to provide the source so that the quote is in context...and a quick googling seems to put Bosendorfer in the same position as Yamaha, a company that produces musical instruments as well as loudspeakers??

Hi ! i found here
bosendorfer speaker phylosophy - Google Search

anyway i remember very well a review mentioning that phylosophy ... [/QUOTE]

hold the phone the OP needs to provide the source so that the quote is in context...and a quick googling seems to put Bosendorfer in the same position as Yamaha, a company that produces musical instruments as well as loudspeakers ?? ...

Yamaha has never said what Bosendorfer said. They do produce both ... but i am sure they follow completely different design approach. I am 100% sure of that. Just look at the drivers ... Yamaha drivers are out of this world.
Bosendorfer use off the shelf drivers ... hardly high end. Very wrong comparison i am afraid.

One makes music and the other reproduces music.
Hi yes ! that was my point. Complete different function. I would go even further ... i would apply some principle of speaker design also to mic ... a mic is just a speaker used reversed. The design and the construction of the mic body is very important to tame any resonance. Only the diaphragm must respond to the air/sound waves ... It will sound better with a non resonant body.
Maybe a composite material dense ... like panzerholz and similar ?
In a mic any slight resonance will be hugely amplified by the chain downstream ... they are very sensitive devices. The good ones i mean

A purely passive speaker would probably do well to avoid any sort of cabinet vibration, as this could lead to things such as distortion.

If you however have an active cross-over with a DSP configured to cancel or reduce any cabinet-induced distortions, well maybe it could work...

But in any case I'm quite skeptical that it could provide any benefit at all over a totally stiff and unmoving cabinet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.