Something to lighten the mood

He will also blame the condition of the slots and the fact the track wasn't clean enough to get rear grip. Are we sure that's not a female driver under that helmut?
If Michele mouton was driving she'd be in the lead. Only about three people could tame the mighty class B rally cars, and she was one. Pat Moss would probably be quite quick as well.

He will also blame the condition of the slots and the fact the track wasn't clean enough to get rear grip. Are we sure that's not a female driver under that helmut?

I remember Sabine gesturing to get out of the way in the ring taxi in my rear-view mirror whilst in the carousel at the Norschliefe. Between me entering the carousel and getting 3/4 of the way around it.. she had gone from the previous corner to the bumper of my car.. and she wasn't pushing it.

VLN 06 2011 Start Sabine Schmitz Frikadelli Racing - YouTube

Corner before the carousel is at 6:40..

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Slot car racing European Championship Finals, Helsinki - YouTube
Start at the 0:45 mark.
I don't remember them doing that when I was a kid. I remember them fishtailing and having to slow in the corners, as only the nose was held in the track and it was all about oversteer. My eyes have trouble following it.

In the 70s they did put some sort of steering in which gave that power slide effect. Didn't really help things. After I stopped playing with that stuff they did come up with a way to get the cars to do a 180 and go the other way.

What I never tried was TCR where the cars could share a lane and change lane.

Are there human eyes that can follow that? The impression is that they just use full throttle.

For domestic slot racers full throttle will throw the car off at the first corner so to win you just adjust to the highest speed that wont do that. Competitive slot racing is a whole different game with all sorts of tricks to keep them stuck to the track. As you can see that track has been treated with something.

And I never used lighter fluid to get burn outs to warm the tyres up at home...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi i checked and the so-called "wing cars" (they look virtually like cars) are driven full throttle. Purely meant for extreme speed and even lacking front wheels.

They are fast... 80-160 km/h with lap times from 1.5s to 3s. Acceleration is 0-100 km/h in less than 0.3 seconds. Their motors can draw 50A and last 1 race. No human eye can seriously follow that. In the video you can see they more or less pretend to follow the cars.

Attachments

• wingcar2.jpg
    wingcar2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I had a car ( fender bender - a F1 stock car of the UK style ) that could do 180 and go the other way, instead of the little guide with trailing brushes it had a longer one with the brushes held at both ends, and it had ring contacts ( like on a car alternator rotor ) to allow for the rotation, fascinated me as a kid. I didn't actually want Scalextrics, I wanted TCR, I guess Santa made a mistake. I did get a lathe ( TOYO ml10 ) about a year later, so all is forgiven.

Many years ago I saw something on the Christmas lectures ( UK TV ) that I've tried to find and understand, low and behold you tube to the rescue -

" The spring paradox ( Steve Mould ) ".

Two springs in tension, with three bits of string, you cut one piece of string and the weight goes up. Years and years I've tried to figure the damn thing out, or to find out what it's called ( Braess's paradox, apparently). Not funny, but educational.