The Black Hole......

I like Dave Wilson's presentation very much, thanks to whoever put it up.

While I did not post the video, I too found it quite good at describing how Wilson Audio has done speaker setups for the past 25 years or so that they have been doing them as part of their business. The video doesn't really give out all that much information other than describe the "zone of neutrality". The use of audio cues to get things perfect is also not exclusive to Wilson, as Stirling Trayle does that too.
The use of audio cues is tricky. This is not layman's territory. I think the cues are quite subtle and take a lot of training to be able to hear. I seem to be about the only one here who understands why the Wilson guy in the speaker review spent an hour fiddling with the speaker positioning.

It is just the difference between people who just want to listen, and others who want the experience of true hi fi. For example, my Sequerra Met 7's are placed on a pair of wine boxes and aimed in my general listening position. I normally listen to TV or cable music through them, and they work well for the purpose. However, my Wilson Sasha speakers require more set up to get the 'best' from them and that is what the Wilson talk was all about. I know Sterling Trayle, and I would be embarrassed to have him come over and listen to my set-up, because for practical reasons, I cannot properly place the speakers in their proper place for my room. At least, I know that my speaker placement could be better, if I was willing to compromise my TV watching.

Bill,

Can't help you with homeopathy, you're on your own there.

Regarding theory, I'm sure its in any physics of acoustics book. Resonances, reflections, defractions, etc. When you have a whole lot of those things going on at once, it gets complicated to write it out in sound field solving equations, which in theoretical form are just approximations based on ideal boundaries, etc. Sometimes you might find some tabular data for real walls, but its probably not theoretically derived.

Last edited: