The Black Hole......

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think the whole Wilson speaker placement thing was about giving the dealers something to do, or adding some mystique to the whole thing.

If the placement is that sensitive, I’d venture it was a suboptimal design. Look at the dozens of speaker brand on/off axis plots in Stereophile- mostly you have a decent window laterally and vertically to enjoy the sound.

If you spend a few tens of grand on a speaker system and it gets installed to within an inch of requirements, what happens if you move your head 4 inches either way?

The optimized speaker speaker placement methods, Wilson, Stirling Trayle's original Sumiko method, and Master Set are all pretty much the same thing.
It's all about placing the speakers in an area of least effect from room boundaries, optimizing the bass and perfect summation of the two speakers so as to be a single sound source.

Wilson has been doing the setups since the mid 1990's. Stirling developed his method in the 90's and began the Sumiko seminars for dealers then. Master Set evolved from one particular Sumiko dealer about 20 years ago.

People who have speakers set in any of these ways have no complaints and never move their speakers, myself included.

The net result of these methods is an increased area for listening position so that one does not have to have the impossible immovable head position when listening to music.

I can't say for sure 1/4" makes a large difference but I did have a large loudspeaker array that moving it 1" made a huge difference. That single inch while hanging it in place lifted it nicely off my foot! To me that was a huge difference. (Did have to fire the guy who dropped it there. That also was a huge relief!)

Do you think he would have bothered to do that if was all unnecessary?
In the spirit of recent posts, I have to wonder if this question should be taken rhetorically.

The idea implied by this, that "your head must be within 1/4 inch of this position to get maximum reproduction/enjoyment," seems quite rigid and would take away from enjoyment rather than adding to it.

But if it's truly that critical (as in there are people willing to pay for it), put the speakers on some x-y tables so their distances can be adjusted as the "main listener" moves his or her head a few inches.