My life changed today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I’m out for a Saturday afternoon walk with the dog, wearing a colourful Hawai'ian shirt as I do most times when I'm not at work, and before I even get to the park, while I’m still on the sidewalk, here comes three 20 something young guys, two of which were of respectable size. They were fully lubricated already and each carrying a 6 pack and heading right toward me.

Now I should explain. Where I live, you carry protection. So I had my hand in my pocket, ready for what, I didn’t know, when the biggest guy said:

“Hey look at that”
My blood went cold, the last thing I need is 3 guys, already 3 sheets to the wind discussing my fashion choice.
The grip on my blade tightened. I stumble out:
“Hey guys”
I heard:
“Hey, you should be in Hawaii”
I stumble again:
“Ya, I like these shirts”
The biggest guy then said:
"Looks good on ya Pops!"
And off they went.

And that’s when my life changed.

I remember being called ‘sir’ for the first time and looking behind me to see who she was talking to, but that’s a coming of age and a sign of respect.

Being called Pops, well that just hurts.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
my Kido is 15something

when we are out of our little town (where ppl are mostly knowing anyone) , ppl seeing her with Mom (say that I'm absent for a moment) , know they're Mom and Daughter

when they see her and me (say that Mom is absent for a moment) , they think I'm her Grand Pa

all because of my white (not gray) beard ....... and I'm not really growing a beard , I'm just cutting it once in month or two

go figure

:rofl:

Sorry about the judgement thrown at you.
No one ever said it was going to be fun and all.

I refuse to dye my hair as most of my coworkers do, and I tend to stand out against the ten + year older folks with their chestnut, or blond hair, afraid to let the cosmetic facade go after probably 20 years. Myself, I try to stay alert and physically active such that I don’t get the inevitable shuffle going, is more important than my appearance to the casual onlookers.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ouch.
Still, I am in recovery mode. I just took an extra heart pill.

Cal, I feel your pain. On the plus side, restaurant servers are people of WIDE EXPERIENCE and know that >55's are either raging miserable az$holes or else super-delightful folks. Upon first meeting they assume the latter and when it becomes evident (after 20 seconds of discussion) they are right, they absolutely shower you with love. Watch for this next time you are "out to eat", it's delightful.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...Where I live, you carry protection. So I had my hand in my pocket, ready...

What, a condom? At your age, Pops??

> being called ‘sir’ for the first time and looking behind me

I used to work with students. Sometimes they called me "Mr R...", and I thought my father was around.

I was also "carded" about 10 years ago. But that was in a student center where 99% of customers were young, and the clerk didn't even look up. When she did, she looked embarrassed, but I choose to take it as unintended complement and whipped-out my.... ID.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
After cancer I can't grow a decent head of hair, so I keep it shaved off and at 62 the only people who notice me are fellow skinheads - and unfortunately not always fellow cancer survivors. :p

I'm OK with it, I'm happy to be here. I don't envy the young, I would like to live a bit longer, and spend a day here and there without chronic low level pain, but for the most part the laugh is on them.

I'm a bit more comfortable in my skin, and have resources now that I could not imagine at their age.

I don't know maybe 60s are the happy age, just before the disintegration gets to the point where you no longer can do some/many of the things you enjoy.. LOL

It bothered me when I was asked for ID every time until well into my 30's and early 40's. Now I look at people my age (especially here in West Virginia) and appreciate the tradeoff, but about a month ago I was carded at Walmart to buy wine, and I am a few days short of 67 years old.

Where I live, you carry protection. So I had my hand in my pocket, ready...

The neighborhood where I lived for 37 years turned into such a combat zone that I often had a hand cannon in my pocket to mow my own yard.

A former coworker had stopped at the Inn-field Pub (sports bar) near my house in Florida for a drink or three one night, which might have turned to more than three, so he rightfully decides to leave his car there and walk home. He lived in an upscale neighborhood south of us which was in a different small town. As he was walking through our neighborhood he gets stopped by a cop, so he explains that he didn't want to be driving drunk, so he was walking home. The cop praised his decision, but expressed doubt that my friend would make it home safely since he looked like a prime target for a robbery. Since he lived in a different city, the cop couldn't drive him home, but did give him a ride to the city's southern border.

This happened after I had already moved out, but gunshots were not an uncommon sound, so I always dressed like a bum (shoeless, shirtless, no wallet, ragged shorts or jeans) when out after dark.

I was robbed at gunpoint in Miami for $7 when I was 17 years old, and south Florida hasn't gotten better since then........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.