First ever black hole image

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This, perhaps more than any other part amused me about their methodologies. The realities of how work *really* gets done so often aren't so glamorous.

But this is the stuff of expanded imaginations, just so, so cool.

I went to school with some of the guys at the Harvard Smithsonian, hats off to them for making this happen. Maybe the folks that say this is not a "photographic" image will get over it or maybe not, that is their problem.

“No single telescope is powerful enough to image the black hole. So, in the biggest experiment of its kind, Professor Shepard Doeleman of the Harvard -Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics led a project to set up a network of eight linked telescopes. Together they form the Event Horizon Telescope, which can be thought of as a planet sized array of dishes.”

Then of course the data from those eight separate locations need to be pieced together - so perhaps Katie Bouman’s name should be among those lauded.

Katie Bouman: The woman behind the first black hole image - BBC News

Attachments

• 8F1E159F-4D2D-4E6C-863D-4702A991B16D.jpeg
    8F1E159F-4D2D-4E6C-863D-4702A991B16D.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Pah... Proper doughnuts don't have a hole in them. They are oblate spheroids with a core of jam...
The British donut is the ultimate expression of the donut. Yes, good quality jam inside, not some red sweet goo that Tim Hortons uses. And the dough is soft and light. I remember as a kid that once in a blue moon my mum got us some fresh donuts from the bakery - still hot to the touch. Man were they good !

That's not to say a good Boston Cream should be ignored.

Attachments

• Jam+Donut+pic.jpg
    Jam+Donut+pic.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I watched the BBC programme 'How To See A Black Hole: The Universe's Greatest Mystery' which followed the work of the team of international astronomers who succeeded in imaging the M87 black hole. The programme is presently available on the BBC iPlayer.

The team had to try out a succession of different computer algorithms before they found one that could convert the raw data into a recognisable shape which is the image that has been released to the world.

As chrisb has noted, Katie Bouman has been credited with coming up with the correct algorithm and is being heralded as a 'Superstar'!

Scientist superstar Katie Bouman designed algorithm for black hole image

Never ? what is needed is a very long baseline telescope in order to get enough resolving power - which means retaining phase information about the signal photons across thousands of km. Just because we can't do that today with visible photons doesn't rule it out. It's a matter of engineering and $. Maybe not in our lifetimes though.

There is little to no point in doing that. Why should one be restricted to visible light? The extrapolated photo is just to show common people what they are doing and why they are investing time and resources. They would not fully understand what this is about if not explained in pictures and simple words.
The complete information and thus the real science is in the full spectrum. The more spectrum one can grab the better!
In other sciences one has to use different techniques to gain complete info (when possible) BUT different techniques, different experiments, different sample environments (or even form) are subject to conditions and approximations when building the complete model. Having simultaneous info IS simply the best way to achieve the ultimate knowledge.

Attachments

• E7C360C6-549E-4B6C-AA27-1E6093542E86.jpeg
    E7C360C6-549E-4B6C-AA27-1E6093542E86.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 152

Attachments

• Cont_emspec2.jpg
    Cont_emspec2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
It's an image synthesized from radio telescope data, the science haters don't know that they are all photons.]

I spent some time yesterday hearing SciManDan verbally killing flat-earthers. We simply have to be used to information from the science world that, on occasions, may be incomprehensible, "photos" that are long period of collected data and not even something that has been recorded on photographic film (or CCDs).

I think the science-haters hate science because they don't even TRY to understand, or in the case it's way out for us mortal beings, these people simply have a deep disbelief because they don't understand and no-one can make them understand.

I think the science-haters hate science because they don't even TRY to understand, or in the case it's way out for us mortal beings, these people simply have a deep disbelief because they don't understand and no-one can make them understand.
I once tried to convince a man in a bar that a fish was an animal. He was vehement in his conviction that it was not, and could not be persuaded otherwise! :eek:
The good news: America’s science literacy rate is up from a pathetic 10 percent in 1988. The bad news: it’s still only 28 percent. (February 21, 2007)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.